I NEED A BUYER!!!!!!!!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone mentioned this but I read an article once about a retiree that was looking for a way to make some money on an acre of land. He tried gardening and selling the produce and didn't realize much for his efforts.

Then he planted the whole acre to zinnias and sold them per flower to local florists~I think he lived by a larger city~and he made $5000 on that acre the first year he tried it. He has since repeated this each year.

Maybe you could diversify and plant one acre to something like this and one acre to a pick your own strawberry or blueberry patch....that way you aren't putting all your eggs in one basket.

I know a family that put in a pond and charged folks to fish in it...and also increased the value of their home in the process. The extension office helped them finance the digging of the pond.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I MADE AN OFFER ON THE PROPERTY! Got a counter offer and will counter offer again. FINGERS CROSSED!!! :fl :fl :fl

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Then he planted the whole acre to zinnias and sold them per flower to local florists~I think he lived by a larger city~and he made $5000 on that acre the first year he tried it. He has since repeated this each year.
I would pay to look at an acre of zinnia's. :pop :love :clap :thumbsup

Great idea!

If you do this be prepared for lots of people stopping to look. I plant sunflowers and gloriosa daisies in front of my house, just a few, and it stops traffic all summer.

Post a watch dog because some get out of their cars and pick my flowers. :gig

Check first what kind of flowers are trendy and marketable. Lavender only has to be planted once because it is perennial, and it has so many marketable uses.

Even if you live out a way from a city you can go to farmers markets to sell, a small town 25 miles away from me, has a thriving local market.I love shopping there on Sat. mornings, I have to go early because sometimes they sell out of the good stuff, but on the other hand going just before closing I can get some 2 fers.

Don't forget that bees go very well with the flowers. Yesterday I paid over $5.00 for 1# of local honey, a quart jar is around $14 or $15 around here, and I did'nt blink, because it's important to me to get raw local honey and it keeps them in business.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
is this property in the hamptons

mrbstephens said:
I MADE AN OFFER ON THE PROPERTY! Got a counter offer and will counter offer again. FINGERS CROSSED!!! :fl :fl :fl

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Old Sew'n'Sew said:
I would pay to look at an acre of zinnia's. :pop :love :clap :thumbsup

Great idea!

If you do this be prepared for lots of people stopping to look. I plant sunflowers and gloriosa daisies in front of my house, just a few, and it stops traffic all summer.

Post a watch dog because some get out of their cars and pick my flowers. :gig

Check first what kind of flowers are trendy and marketable. Lavender only has to be planted once because it is perennial, and it has so many marketable uses.

Even if you live out a way from a city you can go to farmers markets to sell, a small town 25 miles away from me, has a thriving local market.I love shopping there on Sat. mornings, I have to go early because sometimes they sell out of the good stuff, but on the other hand going just before closing I can get some 2 fers.

Don't forget that bees go very well with the flowers. Yesterday I paid over $5.00 for 1# of local honey, a quart jar is around $14 or $15 around here, and I did'nt blink, because it's important to me to get raw local honey and it keeps them in business.
Sunflowers are trendy here. So are dahlias and zinnias. I'd get into bees if I could get past the fear of being stung! Actually, I think every time I was ever stung it was by a yellow jacket.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
elijahboy said:

mrbstephens said:
I'm currently IN the Hamptons. The property is on the North Fork of Long Island. It's a little more rural there with the Long Island Sound on one side and the Peconic River on the other. It's tourist attraction mainly in the fall for pumpkin picking/hay rides/fall festivals. The property is in Greenport which is a popular tourist attraction in the summer too.
How did you know what area I was talking about??? Hey! You better not be thinking about stealing my property out from under me! :lol:

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you said you were originally looking at property in the hamptons

i hope this property isnt as pricey as the others since its not in the hamptons

mrbstephens said:
elijahboy said:

mrbstephens said:
I'm currently IN the Hamptons. The property is on the North Fork of Long Island. It's a little more rural there with the Long Island Sound on one side and the Peconic River on the other. It's tourist attraction mainly in the fall for pumpkin picking/hay rides/fall festivals. The property is in Greenport which is a popular tourist attraction in the summer too.
How did you know what area I was talking about??? Hey! You better not be thinking about stealing my property out from under me! :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
mrsb...

What are they charging for sunflowers? I have a bunch and some fell over. I may as well cut and sell if I can! LOL

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
At the local CSA brand new storefront where I volunteered all day yesterday, she sold 3 sunflowers and 3 amaranth (burgundy) for $14.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
mrsb...

What are they charging for sunflowers? I have a bunch and some fell over. I may as well cut and sell if I can! LOL
Don't know for sure. Probably somewhere around $2 - $3 a flower!

Latest posts