Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
DW and I decided to take the crumb snatchers snow shoeing this week-end. Than I decided why not do a winter time picnic? How crazy is that idea?

With a record 38.5 inches this month alone, 19 which are still standing, more than 18 more coming next week (we'll see) its time to beat the depressing inside blues and seize the moment for what its worth. The snow has had its way with my mind and I keep looking at green pictures of my garden and wildflowers and feeling a bit blahhhhh...

So if you can't beat'em, :smack join'em :weee

So I am going to put lunch in my backpack, charcoal and our plastic summertime picnic plates. I am going to fix lunch and drink warm cider just because its opposite season.

So take that old man winter!!!!

I also suggested that we do it in swim suits, but nobody else wants to do it.... :hu Swim suits and snow shoes!!! :ya

What? :rolleyes: People polar bear swim don't they?.... :clap

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
only crazy people polar bear swim!! yikes!

its 'slaining' here now - somewhere between sleet and rain. superfun.
boo!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a great idea...a winter picnic!!! Hey, Im all for the swim gear....UNDER the snow suit! :lol: I was trying to " make the best of this snow" the other day...hubby and I just got finished hand shoveling our drive...took just an hour....and I came in to finish dinner. Well...he was out there shovelig his parking space. I opened the garage door..and started throwing snow balls at him...in fun, never meaning to hit him...and dont you know it...he steps RIGHT INTO THE PATH of a whopper!!! :lol: I laughed so hard...but the look on his face :somad made me close the garage door, and run for cover! Some people just dont know how to have fun! :/

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: That's funny!! Ok Jay if you wear your suit over your snow clothes you will need to take a picture. We all could use a good laugh. :p

Your picnic sounds great. Enjoy and have fun with your family!! :thumbsup

gina

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
:lol:

Before you read and view some photos, on my behalf I just want to mention I didn't make time to clean the outside of my gutters last year. It rained so much last summer (if thats what you wanna call it) I did do it. To be honest, I never noticed they were filthy. So in the spring, when it warms up, I will get them done. Promise!!

The following picture I found on line, and I thought it was funny.... I like to dress nice no matter where I am going. My wife noticed one time I was looking pretty handsome, and all I was doing was going to the supermarket. Often I will run into a friend while I am there, and in any case, I always want to look clean/neat. That is not the case during work hours or running to purchase supplies locally.

shopping_lg.jpg

So I will mention that I was getting better, well that went south last night, and I got 3 hours sleep. Dr. called me in a prescrip for Avalox and so had to go into town to pick it up. I was happy to see the sun, but the snow was blinding and didn't help my vertigo feeling. I must have taken my sunglasses out and left them in the house. I'm not real bad, but still feel like blah..... So I went to pick it up and found it to be $100.34 after my insurance... :rant :duc They told it doesn't cover that medicine!!! I can't begin to tell you how mad I was!!! :somad

I am not cold sick anymore its like dizzy vertigo feeling, which he didn't rule out inner ear infection. Some years ago I had a stomach bug, it only lasted 2 days, but sheesh was I ill. Now this one tops that because of the way I feel. :sick I think I was sick only twice last year once early and again about this time. I hope this time it will be gone. Dr. said it could last up to several weeks.

So vegged today and did some reading and posting. The sun was out most of the day here, and the melt has begun. I have a flat roof over the back porch that was about to cave in, I had no choice but to climb up and clean the almost ton of snow off. The storms came before I could take down my xmas lights, now they are destroyed by the icicles and snow melting. I opened the attic hatch and pumped the wood stove up to flow the heat to help melt the snow on the roof.

P1011729.jpg
P1011725.jpg

P1011726.jpg
P1011727.jpg

P1011728.jpg

The sun was nice, blinding, but surely a welcomed sight. I am somewhat tired today due to lack of sleep again so I am just going rest. When I make soups, I always make a big ole pot so I can freeze some for a day like today. I made a HUGE pot of Italian wedding soup, a recipe that has been in my family some years. I would say it was my grannys but I am not certain. However it did come from my moms cook book, Traci, my sister emailed it to me upon request.

I have begun to plan my garden this year, and I must say I am planning much wiser this year.

Last issue of MEN had a food article in it and about how much food the world needs. I found it to be a real eye opener and just confirmed why we are sharing ideas and different levels of SS.

I watched Blood Sweat & T-shirts last night (prev recorded day before) I was nothing less than shocked to see how people live and process cotton to make clothes. I ask you, who could make a living being paid 10 cents an hour? The conditions were awful, to be honest with you it makes me sad to see people work so hard for so little. If you watched it, what did you feel when that snotty nose Brit kid said he didn't care if his clothes were made in a sweat shop? :duc

I am positive that I would have made contact with him if he were in my presents. Of course I wouldn't be correct in doing something like that, sometimes I am overcome with emotions dealing with stupid people like that. I was disgusted by his comments, not to mention the others. All life has value!!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Have you been to where you purchase your seeds from this year?

HOLY MOLEY!!! Here it is towards the end of feb and the seeds for sale are 30-40% empty!!! Of course I already purchased ALL the seeds for my whole garden as I expect even the small plants to buy to be outrageous again this year.

I got a little ahead of myself last year, putting my starts in because I had the spring fever. I also am going to be talking about a cold frame with folks here and ask a bunch of questions.

Supposed to be getting another 5-8 inches.... :he

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Saw them at the store the other day when I got my chicken stuff...it was half empty.

Yes, I bought some... and will be going back today to get more after work.

I even checked when they were packaged for and they were packaged for 2010 planting. I thought they were just putting out extra seeds left over from 2009.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought a few heirloom varieties from Bakersville this year. I have a bunch of those heirloom tomato seeds from my great tomato experiment last year. Not sure if they will grow based oh how I saved them.

I actually went into the garden yesterday and planted some cold weather veggies. I figured they could have probably made it through a winter here but I never got them in.

I am trying something different this year. Last year I plated whole beds of 1 variety for canning. Turns out we didn't like canned veggies. I am going to try to plant is succession and smaller quantities. Maybe get up my hoop house so I can grow year round. Living in Ca. must be good for something. huh?? Out in my orchard are I am going to try and plant some vining crops around my trees. The problem is dh like to mow the field. Not sure how that will work out.

More snow huh??? You know these storms have been coming pretty steady. I am lucky enough to only get cold and rain but I feel bad for you guys every time one blows by. I know it will bring you more snow.

have a great day!!

g