Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So you bought the green house??? Cool beans!!! That should get you started early.

I think it was last year when I was hanging out on Easy Garden but there was a guy named Beavis who lives in Ca. He used the welded wire with the huge squares. Made large circles and placed them over/ around his plants. Maybe you could look up his thread. I know he stored them in the off season.

Kinda like your potato baskets now that I think about it.

No rows in the garden? What are you doing instead? I can't wait to see.

gina

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jay, that second link worked great! Wow, I could almost feel the warmth in there, and smell the wonderfull summerlike smells. Ahhhhh....its coming...spring is on its way.
So...no rows hu?? HMmmmm that gets the old wheels a turnin. I cant waite to see what you have in store. As for the tomato stands...if possible, use 1x1's and build tall boxes. I have a friend that made some, one side is hinged to get them off the plants in the fall. I was thinking, one could hinge all sides....makeing storage easier? Somethin I will look into. I am going to stop at a house tomorrow, and iquire about a greenhouse frame, thats been sitting for at least 5 yrs, uncovered. I am hopeing they will let it go...cheap! Have money in hand...and im ready to haggle!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
SO's father made a bunch using concrete reinforcement wire. We are still using them. Just use small sections and put the fence like material in a circle and bend the wire so it stays together. The openings are big enough to fit your hand through and pick all but the largest tomatoes. We have even covered the cages in plastic to keep the rain and cold off the tomatoes in the fall, thus extending our season.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
SO's father made a bunch using concrete reinforcement wire. We are still using them. Just use small sections and put the fence like material in a circle and bend the wire so it stays together. The openings are big enough to fit your hand through and pick all but the largest tomatoes. We have even covered the cages in plastic to keep the rain and cold off the tomatoes in the fall, thus extending our season.
Its funny, but I was looking at those at lowes yesterday, $6.97 each, and also considered Debbies idea of hinges which lead me to key rings at the corners.

So here's how I am going to make them. Using a metal cut off wheel I am going to cut the bottom horizontal pieces off between the vertical (now legs) I will cut the 96 inch pieces so that I get one good basket per sheet, I will used the drop for something else (I love discovering new ways to use things) I will purchase some small keu rings, using pliers I will attach 2 of the three edges. The last edge I will use plastic coated garden wire and wire them together after I wrap the cages around the plant.

In the fall, when I am done, I will be able to undo them easily and they can lay flat for easy storage!!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
You know I will.... :p

I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news comes first, so I need to loose some weight because my blood pressure is a little high, so doc put me on some pills. My Grandfather father side died when he was 52 heart attack, my father has been on heart meds since he was 32, I am 39 and if I loose some weight doc says I wouldn't need meds.

So I am going to have to get that done, there isn't even a question or thinking about it. I guess after I got married, ate fast food for so many years, the weights gotta come off. I have lost some weight since I changed my diet eating less red meat and more veggies/grain foods. So I will approach this matter in the next coming weeks, no problem in getting out doing more. I always gain about 10 pounds in winter, than loose it in the spring/summer/fall. I don't wanna take the meds because I am border line, but my health is more important than my attitude.

The good news is that all my blood test have come back Great!!!!! Yippy!!! I am not diabetic, it does run in my family tree, but I am good to go!! My cholesterol levels are all in the good!!! As I type this you don't know how proud I feel for changing my diet a couple years ago. Since I have been here, I am learning and doing more to take better care of myself and my family through the food I eat.

So its okay to tell you that inside I was worried about my health. Last year I had a few problems where I felt really strange, and I thought something was going on. One day, I had forgotten to eat and drink water, while working in the garden that evening I thought I was going to pass out. Later, I remembered I didn't eat and forgot to drink water. Than a water issue again a few weeks later. Than I forgot to eat another time, by afternoon I was all dizzy ready to fall over.

I decided to eat on a regular bases now, 3 squares a day, and snacks if I want them. Did I tell you doc said I needed to loose weight? Not because I eat to much, I need to get out and exercise more. Recently I have kept a close eye on my fat intake as well as soluble fiber. I also have stopped eating some seafood such as shrimps, still eating those farm raised trout!!!

I am not a gym type, but I wouldn't mind walking up and down the mountain a couple miles a day!!! :weee

So there will be no more driving the tractor to visit with folks around these parts, its LPC all the way!!!
(Leather Personal Carriers) :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
It does feel good to find out that basically you are healthy, expecially when you have made a point to change your eating habits. Congratulations!!!
Staying off the tractor should help shed a few pounds ;) as long as you don't substitute the couch that is :lol:
I always prefer it if I can fix a health issue myself with diet and exercise.
Take care of yourself and go take a hike :gig

I tend to forget to eat and drink enough water also and I get all whoozy. Sometimes I nearly pass out. SO makes sure I eat and drink, when I forget.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey MP.....I shared some weight loss tips with a friend of mine, based on Free's teachings. My friend just sent me a message that she has lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks just by increasing her veggie intake, drinking plenty of water and cutting out the sugar and processed foods. She is thrilled.

It is really easy ......I know you can do it!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Dace said:
Hey MP.....I shared some weight loss tips with a friend of mine, based on Free's teachings. My friend just sent me a message that she has lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks just by increasing her veggie intake, drinking plenty of water and cutting out the sugar and processed foods. She is thrilled.

Back in 2004 - before I got preggers with baby 4 - I was dropping 3 pounds a week just buy cutting out pop/sugary drinks. I allowed myself 1 cup of coffee in the morning, and it was water the rest of the time. I cut my meat portions down and upped the veggie/fruit intake.

Shoot...I really should get back to that!

Small tip - I've found that keeping 20 oz bottles of water on hand I would drink more water. Don't know why it made a difference, psyc thing I guess LOL. I kept my empty bottles and refilled them - so there was always cold bottled water in the fridge.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Dace said:

Back in 2004 - before I got preggers with baby 4 - I was dropping 3 pounds a week just buy cutting out pop/sugary drinks. I allowed myself 1 cup of coffee in the morning, and it was water the rest of the time. I cut my meat portions down and upped the veggie/fruit intake.

Shoot...I really should get back to that!

Small tip - I've found that keeping 20 oz bottles of water on hand I would drink more water. Don't know why it made a difference, psyc thing I guess LOL. I kept my empty bottles and refilled them - so there was always cold bottled water in the fridge.
That is what I do most of the time. It does help. I changed to using a small glass bottle though. SO uses large thermos style coffee mugs.