Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
It is important to take time for yourself and you family, but I get the guy thing...it is hard because you (by nature) are driven to succeed!

Your pics look great! What fun :thumbsup

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Me stressed? Naw, thats the fierceness of a 39 y/o against a 13 y/o :lol:

So I made some homemade banana pudding last night, now mine looks different than yours perhaps because I use whole grain wheat flour. The stuff is just good this way, however mine is pastry grade. I mean your getting goodness and fiber as well as a good treat.

The nanners I got were a bunch bag for 58 cents for 2 something pounds (in the process of spoil, I saw them and thought PUDDING). Did you know that vanilla beans come from orchids? I just found that out last week, I feel like I should have known that fraction of info.

Yes freemotion I used your recipe for vanilla extract, but for my pudding its the real deal.... :drool

IMG_0104.jpg
aIMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg

I forgot to get a pic after baking it as if 4 pounds of pudding would last more than one sitting around these parts.

Planning for my garden
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg

My old diggie camera died and I am still adjusting to my new one.... The old one lasted 5 years and took over 30k pictures, so I got my money worth. I have to still adjust to my new one.....

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is going to be one HUGE garden. It should be fun. I hope it doesn't work you to death weeding it though.

While I'm thinking about it....if you remember when the thaw comes your way.... let me know which currant plants did best. I want to put in one or two...if I can talk DH into it LOL. He doesn't like them, I do LOL.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
That is going to be one HUGE garden. It should be fun. I hope it doesn't work you to death weeding it though.

While I'm thinking about it....if you remember when the thaw comes your way.... let me know which currant plants did best. I want to put in one or two...if I can talk DH into it LOL. He doesn't like them, I do LOL.
Oooo, I want currants too!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
To be honest I like them both, but red currents make the best jelly... So depending on your taste, well buy one of each. With all the rain last year, mine didn't fair well, but I will see how they are in spring.

The big melt is on and its slowly melting away, I have just seen my lawn for the first time in almost three months. I considered moving to Alaska a few years ago before I bought this place, glad I didn't and happy that I settled here.

Everything is in a holding pattern as they are this time of year. I am excited about building a couple cold frames, I had never put much thought into it as I didn't have any windows to make one. I am so happy about my green house as well, I have located a spot to put it within 60 yards of the house.

My indoor mater plant has finally seen its last days. I think I might have gotten 2-3 bushels from it a year. I use a old beard trimmer and a paint brush to pollinate the flowers. I place the brush in the flower and turn on the trimmer and hold it against the stem. After I get done I place the paint brush back into a plastic bag.

I still have deer legs to can, this sinus virus is still hanging on, but I need to get it done. The meats fine in the freezer but its taking up room and the smaller freezer is still over half full. This time of year it doesn't matter, but everyone has pull the legs out to search for stuff, LOL, nobody is happy about it. Oh well, they'll have to deal with it if they wanna eat.. ;)

With my bad cholesterol so low, good cholesterol on target, I don't know if me eating pork fat is such a bad thing. In moderation, me not being a food guru, I just think eating the way I am is okay. I do find that I am lazier than I should be, and with a few lifestyle changes I should be good to go. I could stand to loose 40 pounds, so for my health and love of life I need to make a few changes. I hate exercise nutters, as much as I did non-smokers who would decide to preach their good health to me while I was puffing away on the cancer weed. I hope I don't turn into Richard Simmons. LOL.... :lol:

richard_simmons.jpg

Big burly man like me wearing those shorts, well we all know why that isn't going to happen, well I do!! :) :p

I can see myself walking up and down the mountain in jeans and a flannel shirt wearing tenny shoes with water bottle in hand, but shorts, shorts are for gardening and other relaxing stuff. I am very bored at the moment, I still have a couple projects to finish before planting season comes, before the cold frame gets built. DW reminded me that the honey do list needs to get finished before I start one of my own projects, fair enough.

Generally speaking, my mind is much better now that the snow is melting, and I stood in the sun today to feel the warmth of the sun warm my face. I am telling you, it was food for my soul. Sure its muddy, but right now I will settle for it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
MP, I AM a food guru, and I will tell you that it is not the pork fat that put on those extra 40 lbs. It is the Nilla Wafers and the sugar, the veg oil and the veg shortening, the white flour and the taters. Cut back on all sugars and white flour and you will drop it in no time.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
freemotion said:
MP, I AM a food guru, and I will tell you that it is not the pork fat that put on those extra 40 lbs. It is the Nilla Wafers and the sugar, the veg oil and the veg shortening, the white flour and the taters. Cut back on all sugars and white flour and you will drop it in no time.
I have included more whole wheat in my diet, and cut way back on the bleached flour. I haven't cut back on my sugar as you suggested and I will address that I promise. I have eaten more whole grain food this year than ever before, even the bread I continue to make is almost half wheat (lighter bread).

What can I use to replace my sugar? Only thing you can't make me give up is my jam. But everything else, I am listening and need the right direction to go in?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey MP.....replacing the sugar is a tough one if yu eat much of it. Pick your battles....i can't live without my morning coffee, so I use raw unrefined sugar in there. No soda, no candy, no ice cream, no brownies etc....on occasion yes! Daily, no.

I suggest not just looking at whole grains, because they are carry a high glycemic load. Which will jack up your blood sugar and cause you to store unwanted fat. Instead focus on upping your veggie intake, shoot for adding in an extra 4 servings a day to start until you hit 10.
And drink plenty of water....like half your weight in oz....150 lbs = 75 oz.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jay....my friend...im here to tell ya...if you EVER get to looking like that..Richard Simmons..I think your DW might just throw you out.! :lol: Ohhh, those sexy shorts.....please please please tell me you will NEVER wear something like that!!!!!!!