Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Busy...Busy....Busy!! Hey I ain't complaining.... :D

Got all the gravel moved back onto the driveway that got plowed off when clearing the driveway of snow. Cleaned all the salt down and power washed the steps/walkway. Raked a couple piles of leaves I didn't get moved on time and will get those to the garden tomorrow. I have a huge mole problem that I need to figure out how to address.

Saw my first robins of the year!!! They were in my winter rye covered garden!!! :weee That means that there are worms in the garden!!!

I made a huge mistake when building the cold frame. I took out a sliding glass window, so I framed that in thinking it would be nice to have for a cold frame. I built it on a hard level surface, moved it to the location I decided would work the best. Then I started loading the dirt in, I filled one side pushed it over to be level. So as I went to move the window over, it was stuck, so thinking about it, the frame must have twisted while under all the weight.

I didn't want to loose the glass, after some prying and moving, I was able to remove the glass. So I had to do some back yard engineering and figure out how to hinge it. So I had some hinges I bought at a auction last year, and was able to fit/screw those to the window metal frame than back to the box. It needed some work on it now as well. I had to use my first piece of new lumber that I paid to use on this project.

I took the cost of dirt out of my SS fund and mixed it with some of my own dirt from the tater baskets last year. I have put the word out on some containers that I am going to paint black, fill with salt water to absorb heat during the day.

Somehow I thought this project was pretty straight forward, and through doing it I learned a few things I didn't expect to happen. I was a bit snuffed by how to mount the glass and in the end figure it out after thinking it over a couple days. I will also need to seal the edges a little better. Personally, I don't think I know it all, but I am always willing to learn from my mistakes. The frame tweaking never occurred to me, also the reason I need to put a small seal around the window.

You wouldn't believe how much I am learning on my way to being SS, its not everyday, but more often than if I just lived like most of the population.

Planning a vacation this summer, thinking a couple weeks right now, maybe three if we go overseas. With the way everything is, we might just wonder state side. New England area perhaps.

How your all doing well, animals having babies, chicks doing good, and planning/moving forward on your gardens.

Think what your going to do Earth Day this year?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I planted veggies in the cold frame Saturday, spinach, lettuce, green onions, chard, two cabbages and small carrots. I went to my local automotive repair to gets some anti-freeze bottles to fill with salt water. These tall and narrow containers are perfect to put in a cold frame. I will need at least 12 of them to cover the back wall. I checked on it Sunday and it was to warm so I opened the tops a little to vent out. When I returned home that evening I closed it up, yesterday morning the temp was a sweet 62 degrees.

Saturday I also started the big tractor, surprised it fired right up. So I changed the fluids, greased everything, and to the garden I went. We had been dry for 5 days in a row, but the soil was still damp. When the soil is too damp it doesn't bust the soil up, it clumps up. I am going to wait to set my onions in, I am not wanting to jump in too early this year. But like some of you, I gots spring fever!!

What other veggies should I consider for my cold frame?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Salt water? Would it help for me to add salt to my "thermal mass" in my hoop house?

As for what to plant, I am loving my bok choy. There are a lot of Asian greens that can handle low spring temps.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I vote for broccoli! And peas!
Wife - I just seeded bok choi, can't wait to taste it!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Salt water? Would it help for me to add salt to my "thermal mass" in my hoop house?

As for what to plant, I am loving my bok choy. There are a lot of Asian greens that can handle low spring temps.
I dunno? :hu I added salt water instead of anti-freeze so perhaps it won't freeze in the winter. If it should ever spill/break open the environmental impact would be far less.

So guess what? Okay, I broke the law today. If you wanna get me in trouble, go ahead and call the man.. :lol:

So there I was minding my own business, driving the back way out of a shopping center, in the distance what do I see? Thats correct, some one throwing something useful away. It didn't take me but a split second to decided if this dive was going to happen. See I know the material quality, and what a awesome find to use for tarps!! These things are 10 times better than tarps, and useful for all kinds of things. So I waited, and when they shut the back door, I was faster than the duke boys flying over a bridge-less ravine. It was an all out snatch and grab, so as karma would have I said ten he!! marys while doing it just in case the big man up stairs didn't like it so much.

But for my troubles, lookie at what I got.... and they are 44 inch wide by 18 feet long, a total of 9 of these banners.

IMG_0293.jpg
IMG_0296.jpg

Here completed finally, is my cold frame with veggies planted inside.

IMG_0269.jpg
IMG_0267.jpg

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
So guess what? Okay, I broke the law today. If you wanna get me in trouble, go ahead and call the man.. :lol:

So there I was minding my own business, driving the back way out of a shopping center, in the distance what do I see? Thats correct, some one throwing something useful away. It didn't take me but a split second to decided if this dive was going to happen. See I know the material quality, and what a awesome find to use for tarps!! These things are 10 times better than tarps, and useful for all kinds of things. So I waited, and when they shut the back door, I was faster than the duke boys flying over a bridge-less ravine. It was an all out snatch and grab, so as karma would have I said ten he!! marys while doing it just in case the big man up stairs didn't like it so much.

But for my troubles, lookie at what I got.... and they are 44 inch wide by 18 feet long, a total of 9 of these banners.
You made me laugh out loud! :gig

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Great score!
I used to get curbside stuff all the time. I haven't done much diving, but that's cause I worry about getting stuck. Gotta look to see how I will get back out first.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Great score!
I used to get curbside stuff all the time. I haven't done much diving, but that's cause I worry about getting stuck. Gotta look to see how I will get back out first.
I always carry a glass filled tube of LARD, written in red letters it says "Break in Emergency". They say just a little dab will do you!! Sometimes I rub a little on the love handles just in case, before I leave the house. Sometimes I forget to wash it off, DW doesn't consider it very attractive :hu

Yeah Wildsky, you gotta make sure you don't have a mouth full of coffee or something in your mouth when you open and read my journal. You never know what's going to be written in here. :ep :gig

A sport!! :lol: that's a positive way to feel about it.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Don't know whether to :tongue or :smack or :lol:
I guess I wasn't clear enough there. Dumpster diving is easier for taller longer legged people.

I usually stick to stuff I can reach from outside it because of that. I'm just 5' 6" .