Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:hide No Jay I have to admit. The basket I planted was not seed potatoes. But the good news is everything I have in now is. These plants were started with the seed potatoes I bought at Bakersville. They are huge and doing very well.

Sorry you missed your fishing season!!

How is your green house doing???

gina

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Welcome back Jay, I don't get here often these days. Glad your life is getting back on track. Maybe mine will soon and I can visit more often.

I think you may be right about the climate and taters. I planted one basket just to try it again and the rest in the ground in the normal rows. I made a few in the basket but harvested close to 80 pounds out of the ground. I think its just to hot and dry. I do have one more in a raised bed that I am waiting on.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Welcome back- it's good to see you posting again in our little community.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I had best luck with in ground yukon golds (seed). My container potatoes just didn't get very big. The largest was about the size of a deck of playing cards, but a bit thicker, and there was only one. Most were the size of lemons or smaller. The YG in the ground, the largest was 9" long. Containers were planted both in seed (purples) and grocery store (reds). The russets were also planted in ground, along with samples of the seeds to compare with the buckets. In ground just did so much better all the way around. I think it was the soil. Buckets had a lot of store bought dirt mixed with native.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome back home, Jason. We've missed you. I was thinking about geocatching the other day, since I'd never heard of it until you posted.

Hugs to you, your wife and kids. :hugs

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Glad to see you back. Getting back to regular life as much as you can is good for you.
Hope your garden does very well this year. The weather has been weird enough lots of places, that lots of people are still getting going.
I finally got a spot in a community garden. Would a small laundry basket probably work for a potato basket?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
DL congrats on your community garden spot!!! I don't know if it will work, try it!!!

So to bugger your brain, I gotta ask you what do you think this is cooking in my cast iron skillet?

IMG_0812.jpg

Now for basket taters, here are mine, from seed taters.

IMG_0822.jpg
IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg
IMG_0819.jpg

Red Currants

IMG_0818.jpg

fish in my pond

IMG_0816.jpg

Bass a lurking

IMG_0817.jpg

Wild flowers

IMG_0825.jpg