Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was watching the news yesterday and wondering how you were doing. Obviously your prepared and the snow man sign shows it!!!
:lol:

I do have a bug out bag. Not really geared towards long term but it has all the basics.

I love those candles. The sell them here really cheap as well. Kind of a no brain-er in the extras department.

Hey I remember your solar charger, the one you used for your cash register right??

That's great that it's coming in handy for other things.

Stay safe and warm..

g

Dooley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
^^^^^ :lol: :rolleyes: ^^^^^

Well checked all the fluids in the genny today, oh we lost power for most of the after noon saturday. Being next to the last on the grid here, and everyone else up above me on another, our restore can take days... The genny didn't kick on, so I went out to inspect it. I found some critter had gotten inside and chewed the plastic off a square bus fuse, which might have arched and blown it. I had not planned well because I had no replacement fuses for it, so I had to go into town to get some. I have to say it was a blessing as the new ice storm moves in...

I am loving these new windows, the temp only dropped a degree in two hours, the added attic insulation was a no brainer...

Yesterday seemed to be the day to get ready for the storm to come. While I was posting this morning, I also was watching the today show, it is reported that some peole wil have roof cave ins as per the amount of ice to come. In my area we are expecting 1-2 inches of ice, and 6 inches of snow by noon tomorrow.

Do you have a emergency supply box? I do, have had it many years. Stuff from medicine, first aid, long term food, solar shower, air tight TP, lights chemical/torches weather wind up radio, parachute flares, water filter, maps/compass of the area, silver coins, tarps and paint... This stuff is just a small amount listed, and the packs can be put on and hiked with for moving around.

Anyway, I am ready for the storm...

I use a fuel stabilizer to store my fuel for longer periods of time, I use sea foam... I store 50 gallons of generator fuel and 40 gallons of gas. I also have cases of Jesus candles that I bought on close out for 79 cents each, they have an 80 hour burn time. The heat from 10 of these can stable the room temperature. If used in moderation, I can have no power for 30 days and still be just fine. I also keep a full supply of propane for cooking.

Do you remember the solar re-charging system I came up with a couple years ago? I still use that and can re-charge cell phones, computers, any thing with a re-chargeable battery as well as run 12 volt lights.

I think my attitude is different in this way because I do think SS and ready for the what ifs is from being raised in the cold war days. I might be a little nutty, but I will be a comfy nutty... :lol:
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt169/modern_pioneer/SS living/wolverines-1.jpg

If your in the storm, stay safe and warm.....

If your not in the storm, join us..
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/...iving/unassembled-snowmen-for-sale-135445.jpg
:gig

Edited to add that I'm laughing at the pics, not at your electricity troubles!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
First off, this was a free bee, which I had no clue as to what company wanted to show it off. It seems that a couple staff members have bought some in the past. I was confused because it is a hen, not a rooster... But I figure, no big deal right.... I hope it doesn't make us look stupid.... I mean, well do you think its a big deal? I didn't pay for it...

mojo2.jpg

mojo.jpg

I think it should be out in the middle of March or perhaps sooner....

Well, the storm just didn't come as they said, we got what would be average snow like we would in a small storm, but nothing too concerning.

The ridge really protects from those northeastern winds, the snow comes as it wants, and from time to time we do get heavy gust if the wind is coming northwest or north.

What seed company have you selected this year? Have you used seeds form Seeds Of Change? If so feedback?

I hope that all of you in the storm are tucked in tight and were ready, I know that is a silly thing to say, but money gets tight sometimes, and thats when we get frugal and use the resources around us to get what we need.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't think that would pass for a roo with folks who know chickens ;) Most folks will know anyway. Look at it from a publicity angle...it's in a chicken magazine...it's a hen not a rooster....which will draw more attention to it because it is a mistake and it's free publicity. :hu Possibly more sales? everybody likes to poke fun at mistakes...and show them to other people. I say it just draws more attention to your product ;)

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Tell em it was young chicken...can't sex it yet :D
:lol:

**wipes spit off laptop**
WB thats a great view point!!!!!! I never thought about it like that, I seemed to be focus on the negative side of it, your right though...

ETA spelling era

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
See my title? I earned it ;)

Seriously, the other day I caught myself doing this very thing...showing off a mistake in an ad. This one was absolutely hillarious though. In the Sunday paper was a P90x ad with a framework of before and after pictures of "clients" supposedly..well I was looking at all the people and got down to the bottom and had to do a double take...P90x had REALLY changed one guy TREMENDOUSLY...the before pic was a chunky belly flopped over the waist middle age white guy..that P90x had turned into a young buff black dude in JUST 90 days!!! :ep

I HAD to show DD and DH to see if I was crazy..nope...they saw it too :gig

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Maybe he spent some time in a tanning booth too? :lol:

I giggle at lots of the weight loss ads I see on TV. It is almost funnier when you don't get the sound. Do people really believe those ads? "All you have to do to lose weight is take this pill here." :idunno

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess it "could" be a rose comb rooster type. :/ Still....looks like a hen to me! LOL
We didnt get that much of the storm either...rain, freezing rain, then it melted, and winds....BIG winds!! Whew! Almost plucked my turkeys! Well..ok, not really..but close. ;)