Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
A heard of deer past in front of my stand this morning, never even saw me. Where that 10 point went, I dunno. But there were 2 buc, a 3 point, and a four point (weird looking really tall horns) and 6 does walked right in front of me. I saw them crest the hillside, and I looked to see if there was a buck big enough to harvest... Nope...

So I took out my cell phone camera and snap a few pics....

I have to get the rest later and I will post them...

downsized_1130090912be.jpg

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
cool, I let a little doe walk Saturday. She crossed the field in front of me and kept looking into the woods like there were more deer there but it was so thick I couldn't see anything. I'm sure they were there though, I could hear the rustling of the leaves. They usually cross through the brush if they aren't going to come into the field right at dusk. Frustrating to know they are there but just won't come into sight.

Got my first batch of jerky in the oven right now and boy does it smell good! I'm doing the hickory first.....Chad can't wait to come home from work! :p

Congrats on the turkey! I haven't seen any while hunting this year which is unusual. The last one I killed stunk to high heaven too......blech. :sick

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
while hunting is great isn't it nice to just watch nature come on by.....Tony loves it. He says he enjoys the stupid squirrels and birds battling for the corn and such he sets out...and never hears the deers approach...he is so enterained by the other stupid critters..LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

the circle to the right is the easiest deer to see---light brown

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
They can be hard to see sometimes, they blend very well! Sometimes if you don't hear them they can sort of just "appear" from nowhere. I have looked around behind me on several occasions and there will be 3 or 4 standing right behind me....kind of spooky really. :D

Cell phones don't pick up the definition of things very well....maybe some of Jay's other pics will be easier to spot.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:thumbsup Love it when they walk right up to you.

DH & I were out back last weekend, banging away at the rabbit hutch. I can smell the suckers now, like I used to when I was younger. I told DH that there was one in the trees off to the left side of our yard. He dismissed it, and said it was probably one of the chickens pecking around. I walk inside to get the new box of nails & no sooner do I get in than he's tapping on the window. "Look honey! You were right, it's the 8 point" :tongue
All I could see was the flash of his tail as he dashed off.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
None of the other pics were any better..... I went back up after lunch (when I posted, headed back up at 1100) and spotted 3 more heading up the hill just after noon. Different group, a much larger doe, biggest one I have seen so far this year, and two small ones in tow.

Looks like I will fill all my doe tags starting next weekend, its only buck season right now, and we have a hard buck season here, four on one side or a basic 8 point. One large buck was harvested according to Adam, who I ran into today on the hill. His family, or extended family owns the property that borders mine. He had harvested a 8 point a few weeks ago, and I didn't mention the tenner I got on the game camera. :plbb

Yes, its funny when you sit in the woods, stay still, I also was unscented, and just blend into the woods how many animals and birds you do see. Last year I saw a pair of black squirrels but I haven't seen them this year. The resident red squirrels are happy and I see that some pine squirrels have moved into the trees at the back of the house. Other than the deer and squirrels I noted, I didn't see much else, heard lots of woodpeckers.

That jerky is my fav , second only to my personal blend and of coarse smoked in my smoker.. :thumbsup But that smell brings my mouth to water. Often I will use that same kit if I can't fill the cold smoker up which I hope to share a new video soon about cold smoking.

I wanted to wait till I got some cod, salmon, turkey, deer, and more sausage made before I fire the smoker up for the first time this year. So I am moving forward with those, and hope that I can harvest a buck for roast, steaks, and jerky.

I still remain smoke free... :thumbsup

A brief holiday problem was solved and it just made me mad. Like most of you, it is tradition to have turkey, cranberry, stuffing and pumpkin pie for thanksgiving. DW wanted to have ham instead of turkey, she wanted to have turkey during xmas instead. Well the local turkey I had purchased was ready to be cooked, stores were closed, and so we will have turkey and ham for xmas this year. I still cooked the turkey up and had turkey samiches for lunch today.

I love to black powder hunt, so if I don't get a buck now, I will be able to during late muzzle loader season when the pressure of hunters is off the deer in January. I don't use in-line either, in-lines are for sissys :plbb :yuckyuck

I use a long barrel .50 cal, left handed, flint lock. I have some hard to get 305 grain bullets which are backed by 115 grains of powder. Thats what I used to kill the old doe with last year, hit her right in the boiler room, and she just dropped. The pause and tracking of the shot waiting for it to fire is the sport I like about black powder.. LOL... I am telling a fib..... It makes me fell like Mad Jack on Grizzly Adams.. LOL.... But its a lot of fun for me... Oh, I have had my shares of miss fires, I think 2 in the last few years, so my average is good.

NCL- Wish I could smell them, often like Lori, I can't even hear the dang things.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just because I could smell it doesn't mean I could see it :lol:
"Over there somewhere" is about as close as I could get. Thick thick brush.
If I could have spotted it, I'd have crept quietly into the house instead of jogging in & clumping up the steps. I think it was the clumping that drove him off. He thought I was headed for Bertha :lol: Ah well, no great loss, I'm waiting for the does. They taste better, anyways :D
Looking forward to the smoker video!