JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those big, round snouts...the little beedy eyes....the floppy ears...NOPE, no piggie snorfles for me! LOL I know where those noses have been, and can't identify most of whats on them! LOL :lol:

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Oh Punkin! :lol:
I can see it now.....the congregation stands quietly, and starts in with Amazeing grace....how sweet the sound...and punkin blurts out... IT WAS A ONE EYED ONE HORNED FLYIN PURPLE PEOPLE EATER! :gig :lol: :gig :lol:
Actually, it was "How Great Thou Art", but I made it through OK. (Whew!)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I just read that your husband lost his job. I am so sorry to hear that. :hugs I wanted to give you little cyber hug, but thought I would do it on your journal thread.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks BBH. Most of the places here in our small farming town, have gone under. I am soooo glad we at least have some from the garden, and the pig...and of course chickens and turkeys. We wont go hungry...but might be eating in the dark! LOL
I have faith, in GOD, we will be OK. It might be a blessing in disguise. By being laid off now, he will be able to hopefully find a job, before they close the doors permanently where he works, and LOTS of people are job hunting. Sorta gave him a leg up..have to look at the positive side. Right??

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
17 Aug 09

Today hubby and i are makeing a treck into town. He has to turn in his uniform and keys to his last employer. :( It will be depressing. On the good side....the place next door to where hubby worked is hireing...and has 24 open positions! :fl We will stop there next. Then we have to make a few grocery stops, for us and the animals....and one more stop for a job application, then home.
My biggest fear is not being able to keep my truck payments up. We both have trucks but his is old, and falling apart....mine is the dependable vehicle right now.
I have been canning most of the weekend, between visits from well meaning friends and family members....." checking in on us" I was able to put up 10 pints of green beans...5 pints of chili base, and 7 pints of icicle pickles. WOW those are good. Thanks to whoever gave up the recipe!
Saturday hubby and I worked in his workshop. It is in BAD need of repair and cleaning. We are taking the styrofoam covering down from the walls, and replaceing it with veneer we got for free! Then we will be putting in shelves, with free wood we have in the lean-to. This way we can get it organised...hopefully BEFORE winter...so I can get the garage cleaned out as well. Its a BIG project, but will keep him busy untill he finds employment.
The pantry is filling up, slowly...but I am pretty confident I will be able to finish it off before winter. One day this week we will be canning a few chickens as well. Need to get the freezer emptied. We have 2 of them going, and no need to run them both if I can cann the meat in one of them. Reduce the electric bill a little at least.
Well, time to feed the animals, then get hubby up and off we go. WISH US LUCK...that he gets a job today! :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
justusnak said:
...7 pints of icicle pickles. WOW those are good. Thanks to whoever gave up the recipe!
That person would be our own Punkin' !

Good luck on the job hunting. These indeed ARE trying times. My son is working his last day on his IT job and hubby's place of employ is laying off big time!

Another way to look at all of this is you are not alone. I think with the way the economy is most loan companies will be especially willing to work with those that are at least TRYING to keep up payments.

I be praying. :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Good Luck on the job hunt. It seems unpredictable income is becoming a common thread here. :rolleyes: I hope he picks up work quickly!
On suggestion would be to contact the lender on your truck before you are even late and let them know that there may be a delay in payment...they may cut you a break in an effort to help you. They would much rather work with you than have you just go silent and stop paying. :thumbsup

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
20 August 09

We have been busying ourselves...trying not to dwell on our "misfortune" It has worked to our advantage. The shop is getting done...the animals areas are getting a good cleaning out, the garden, or whats left of it, is getting picked, and canned.
Wednesday evening, hubby went online to do a few more applications. Most places want applications done online now. Well, last night, around 12 pm, he finished with Lowes Distribution Center application. This morning, around 11 am, they called and set up for an interview!!!:weee Tuesday afternoon. PLEASE, say a prayer for him, that he gets this job. Also, we got the paperwork on his unemployment...IF he gets approved..he will get 390 a week. Not great, but good enough to make it on, IF we tighten the belts a bit more. So, the AC went off....the lights are off unless we NEED them..and nothing goes to waste. Not even the dish water.
Today I was makeing grape jelly from the few grapes that survived the summer. Brought in the pigs bucket..a 5 gallon pickle bucket..and the grape skins left from draining the juice went in the bucket. When the jelly was done, I put just a little water in the pot, rinsed it around, and put that in the bucket as well. I added the warm water from the water bath canner to thier bucket, and then mixed in thier feed, makeing a warm sweet gruell. Those pigs thought they had gone to heaven! It was fun to watch them gobble up the feed as fast as they could, trying to get more than the other. :p When they finished...they layed along the fence, grunting contentedly...made me smile. :)
This evening hubby and I treated ourselves out to a night of Bingo at St. Marys Church. We had a good time. Hubby won $100.00. Perfect timeing, as his truck need a new steering column. ( Its always something!)
Tomorrow I am going to look at a new dog. We had to have our Doberman put down this last spring. Hubby usually works nights, and we live so far from town, I just like haveing a little bit of protection here with me. I found a lady on freecycle....she has 7 Doberman Pinschers she needs to rehome. She and her hubby are splitting up, and they need to find the dogs good homes. I can't wait to go meet the dogs. I will feel better knowing I have something I can take out with me after dark...and not be scared. I hope we find the perfect match. :fl

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Good luck on the dog meeting. I know what you mean, I always prefer to have a a four legged protector around. And those dobermans have a nice fierce reputation.
Hope everything else goes well too.
Wish I could share some of our extra produce with some of you. I am having a hard time selling it. And my prices are lower than the grocery stores and way lower than the farmers' market!
Sounds like you have things pretty well set, just in case.

A number of years ago when my husband left me and our daughter, I told the power company to go ahead and turn of the power. We lived for a month without any power. Used battery operated radio and alarm clock, did homework by candle light, sat by the fireplace making crafts for christmas gifts cooked on the bbq, kept food in the cooler. Then my neighbor insisted on running an extension cord, so we could plug in the refridgerator and turn on a few lights. He is now my SO. ;)
Then a co-worker who was very wealthy took it upon himself to get me hooked back up and payed my monthly bill for a long time. But I managed to pay my mortgage every month.