JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
23 Aug 09

Well...we had a good few days. :cool: BIL came out Friday, and helped Hubby in the shop...so I could get my house back in order, somewhat! ;) I love my BIL, however he usually seems to overstay his welcome. I went to bed at 1 am, he was still here. Saturday morning I got up....did the animal chores..picked what I could from the garden, and got the kitchen ready for some canning. Hubby got up about 11 am. :/ I moved the canning stuff aside, and prepared to make scrambled eggs and toast..breakfast for him, lunch for me. Just as I was putting it in the pan...BIL shows up...again! Hubby told me he was here untill 4:30 am the night before. :/ This boy needs to get a life of his own! He has a wife and daughters...and a job, but lives in town and has literally nothing to do on his days off. So, he comes out here to "help" I dont mind so much...I appreciate the help, but jeesh! Leave before the next day comes!! :rolleyes:
After we ate...hubby and BIL went out to the shop...to try to get more done out there. I cleaned up from brunch...and started my canning. Brought in the 5 gallon "pig bucket" so all the tomato "stuff" went to the pigs. They were very happy by the way! :p Only got about 7 pints of tomato sauce...and 2 pints of green beans. Im thinking the garden is just about done. :( Im not ready for it to be done!! My pantry is NOT full! I also picked the last of the Elderberries.....got about a gallon more. They went into the freezer, for jelly makeing later.
Today, Sunday...hubby and I will of course, work in the shop some more. The sooner we get that done, the sooner I get the garage. I will be useing the garage for canning supplies and hopefully I will get my stoved set up in there for canning next year. Was hopeing to get it done this year, but just didnt have the time. I cant waite to have my "summer kitchen" up and running. I dont think BIL will come back out. Luckily he only stayed untill about 10 pm last night. I am going to prep an area in the garden, to plant peas for fall. Sure hope they make it. Thats the only veggie we dont have in the pantry...spring was rough!
Its cool this morning...in the low 50's....and overcast. makeing me lazy..I love to sit on cool morning with a cup of coffee...and just look out at the farm...and be thankfull for what we DO have. This is " me and God time"
Its getting to be 9 am, and I have not done a thing yet! Guess I better get the animals fed, and get my shower...I really need to pull everything out of the laundry room today..and set mouse traps. The cool weather has already started sending them into the house. UGH! I also have to set up another brooder....my Guineas will be hatching in about a week..and I am not ready for them yet! Hope they sell quickly. Then I am going to set a batch of Khaki Kambell duck eggs in the bator. I cant waite to have baby ducklings again. So cute...messy, and stinky, but cute!
hope everyone has a GREAT and productive day.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is great to hear the garage is coming along. We used to have a single male friend who would come over to help and hang out with my dh. It was great when we needed to install a fence. But like your bil he usually hung around longer than I would have liked.

I has been cool and foggy for me in the mornings as well. I sit and look out over my "yard" as we speak. Its not a farm but it gives one a sense of satisfaction. The bummer is when the fog burns off it is hot as heck and humid. It's not normally humid in southern Ca.

Good luck with your hatchlings. Do you process your ducks? Or are they just pets?

My garden us puttering off as well. I can feel fall in the air. But for us there will most likely be another heat wave soon.

Have a great day! gina

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I think BIL needs to go real estate shopping!

Evidently he needs MORE than that city lifestyle and since he is so helpful and seems to like the way you and your hubby are living I would help him to find his own little place to homestead. :D Does his wife feel the same way? Or maybe he is just trying to avoid her and THAT responsibility!? I have heard you talk about him bringing his kid to your place ... does wifey ever come? Maybe SHE needs converting so BIL can move to his VERY own place. ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking. They have ONE day off together, and he spends it here...without her! She doesnt like comeing out here much...she doesnt like the " smell of the animals" HAHA! WHATEVER!! She can keep her little butt home then. :/

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
28 Aug 09

Since hubby is not working yet.. :/ He and I are spending more and more time together. :rolleyes: We worked in the shop ALL day today.
Before....but after we cleared all the "stuff" out
99_shopcorner.jpg

After we finished the corner.
99_shopcornerdone.jpg

We are trying to clear, burn, throw away, and organise it....so I can have the garage....for my summer kitchen. I have it all planned out...just have to waite untill we get the shop finished. BIL is giving me some of those older metal cabinets...I am putting them in the "summer kitchen" This will be where I do the canning next year. :fl The garage is heated/Airconditioned...the previous owners had a "show car" in there, and had to keep the garage tempered. Lucky for me! :D
So...I am working on the Dill pickles, :fl hopeing it works. Today I rinsed the Alum...and added the pickling juice. 3 more days...and we shall see!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D Thanks BBH. The vaneer we hung, we got for free. We got..well...LOTS of it. We built a chicken coop...12 x 30...and the whole inside is done in the vaneer as well. :D We still have a large stack, and plan to do the whole inside of the shop...30 x 32....maybe even the ceiling! LOL. I think the REAL reason hubby likes putting it up, is that he gets to use his "toys" His air guns..and staples he got for Christmas last year. :cool: I have to admit tho....I like useing the air staple gun as well. Makes everything go soooooo much faster. :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is GREAT! With a few coats of gloss paint you will have a wonderful place to work!! :clap

I would so like to have a summer kitchen. When we went on vacation in Kansas to the National Tallgrass Prairie the old house there had a wonderful summer kitchen. It was made of stone and sat near the house on a little knoll with big circular windows on all four sides and a GREAT view. I can just imagine how nice it would be to work in that space in the summer on a wood stove.

Those metal cabinets are great as well. We used to have a bank of them in the feed room of our barn. They are nearly indestructible and easy to keep clean. You are a lucky girl indeed! :thumbsup

What are you going to do for a sink? I was able to buy a commercial one on eBay for about $300 and that price was SHIPPED! It has TWO huge deep sink wells and a drain board built in. I have never looked back.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That is very cool! An aiconditioned garage to use as your second kitchen...I love it!!

I had to laugh at your SIL not liking to visit because she does not like the smell of animals....too funny!