JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, yep, im up and around...have to be! Sony needs his shots, and Hubby is NOT going to do that for me. LOL Thats OK, I can dragg my behind out there for Sonny....and Autumn. Need to keep an eye on her...I think she is close. :weee

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
22 Dec 09

Christmas is coming..and so is a Full moon(31 Dec I believe) Autumn is miserably close. She makes me uncomfortable just watching her. I just know she will lamb on the coldest night of the year...my luck. OR, she will lamb on Christmas day, when I have all the family here and will be busy. I know I will be out there every few hours checking on her.
I got a quote for getting electric run to the barn. $600.00 :th This will include a breaker box...lights, and plugs. Oh, and he will tap into the house breaker box...and have to run it about 300 feet or so to the barn. I guess its not a bad price...just money we dont have...right now. Im going to do some shuffling, and see if I can get it done after the first of the year.
Sonny is doing MUCH better. I went yesterday and got more mineral blocks...I had let them run out..bad me! As soon as I placed it in the barn, Sonny ran to it and started licking and nibbling at it. :cool: He was trying to eat grains this morning, but I could tell it was still hurting his mouth. At least he is trying. He has one more day of shots...then I will just have to see how it goes. I can't put any more meds into him. He is getting another round of antibiotics...and he got a steroid shot. Seems to be working. He is rubbing his face on everything he can....I know it hurts him still. :(
He is getting harder to catch tho, to give the shot....so he is stronger! :)
A dear friend sent her daughter over the other day with a box of chicks. Showgirls. :/ Im still thinking on those. Not sure if I like them or not. Time will tell.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So glad Sonny is getting better! And electric to the barn is priceless! I would love to have both electric (without all the extension cords I have now) and water to my outbuildings and sheds. What a great thing!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
28 Dec 09

Well, Christmas came and went...and no lambs. Jeesh this gal is worrying me to death! LOL I havent been out there yet this morning...and I know I should. We got a few inches of snow yesterday, and the morning temp is 19 degrees. I am waiting on my sweatshirt from the dryer. Nice and cozy warm before going out in the cold. I have peeked out there a few times...and no one is coming out of the barn.
I have been getting seed catalogues in the mail....ohhhh, how I am already longing for the sweet smell of fresh turned dirt. Im drooling over these pages..planning...wishing...dreaming! We had to move our hog pen, when the septic went in...so..I am planning to use that area for a small garden this year. Its only 15 x 30...so I wont be able to get much in there, however, the soil is rich and dark...and BEGGING me to plant something in there! I am thinking...beets and onions. I can see the red monster size beets now...ohhhh..yum! Im guessing I will have to test the PH before I plant tho. Should be just fine....after the long winter...and it being plowed up already.
Well, IM off to check on the sheepies....wish me luck!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
29 DEC 09

So, the year is coming to an end. I was sitting here last night...reflecting on this past year. Things we have accomplished...things we didnt get accomplished...our joys..and our sorrows. It would be easy to sit here and wallow in self pitty, over all the things that have gone wrong over the last year. However, I have decided to dwell on the good...the learning experiences.
Our garden was for the most part a bust...however...I was able to put up enough to get us through the winter. :)
We had rain issues..however..we learned how to install drainage ditches. :/
Our septic system went to poo on us....however...we got a new system, and shouldnt have to worry about it again in our lifetime! :fl
Our pigs...well, we had health issues...and family issues...however, we ended up with enough pork to get us through, and to help a few other families. ;)
As I reflect on the past year...I am thankfull for being able to learn, and make it through all of our hardships.
The Lord has blessed us with the means to take care of ourselves...and the physical ability to get the job done. Yes...we are truely Blessed...all of us...living the good life.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
:hugs What a great way to send out this year and welcome the new! counting blessings!

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
justusnak said:
As I reflect on the past year...I am thankfull for being able to learn, and make it through all of our hardships.
The Lord has blessed us with the means to take care of ourselves...and the physical ability to get the job done. Yes...we are truely Blessed...all of us...living the good life.
:clap wow so true - I feel the same way.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Great perspective Justy....nothing is ever perfect, you have to appreciate what you've got!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I think that is truly the way of life. Always a balancing act. If you look at that list again, however, it sounds like it balanced out to be a pretty good year after all! :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes FF, for every trial...there was a great lesson, and eventually a blessing. Some folks just look at the trials...and dwell on them. I TRY to think of the outcome..and the blessing we had because of it.