JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is why I suggested people oatmeal. It makes a gruel and is soft enough to go down easy. I am glad he is stronger today. That is a really good sign. :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
16 Dec 09

It has been so bitterly cold. I was able to get a water trough heater...just havent been able to find the time to get it out there! UGH! I WILL get it out there tomorrow....come heck or high water!
As for Sonny.....well....he was doing better...then a minor setback. Seems he doesnt want to eat. He stands at the water trough most of the day...licking up water. He can't suck it like he needs too, I guess because of the sore mouth. I made him some oatmeal, with molasses. He acted like he wanted it, but wasnt able to eat it. So..I held him, and opened his mouth with the lip of the bowl..and let it slide into his mouth. Once he got the taste of it...he relaxed, and let me "dribble" it in his mouth. I can tell he has lost quite a bit of weight....that has me worried. I am going to be giving him the oatmeal, 2x's a day...just to get something into him. He just wants water...all day. At least he is drinking. Thats a good thing. I guess I need to call the vet back out. Seems his mouth is just so sore....poor guy. I would have thought it would have healed by now...its been over a week! Jeesh I hate the thought of another vet bill....but I have to do what I can for him.
Autumn, the Katahdin Ewe, seems to want to stick near the barn more and more. She is so heavy with babies...or a baby..her tail area is sunk in...and she "mopes" She is still eating well...and will make her way to the water...then back to the barn. I looked out this morning, and she was laying in the pasture. I was sure she was lambing...but when I went out there, she got up, slowly..and came to me...wanting her back rubbed. Poor gal, she is HUGH! She has a funny walk because of the size of her milk bag. Its easily the size of 2 grapefruits. I just hope she has an easy birth...and it doesnt get too cold. I dont have electric out at the barn...and really cant get it out that far with extension cords...so deep straw, and warm blankets are waiting.
Finally got the septic in..WOOHOO! Well, MOST of the way in. We have to waite untill spring to get the finger system in. For now it drains from the tank...to another smaller tank...into the perimiter drain, then into another tank, with a pump. The state inspector recommended this system, because of the water issues we have here. At least we wont have septic backed up in the yard anymore. What a relief!
I FINALLY got the package in the mail for the grandbabies in OK. I sure hope it makes it there in time. It just seems every time I try to get one thing done....2 things get in the way. I will be happy for a new year..and pray for a better one...maybe a little DRYER this summer??

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Justusnak....did Sonny already have a tetanus shot or did the vet treat him with a Penicillin or Ampicillin? Just wondering. Also, have you noticed anything funny looking about his eyes?

Tetanus is a disease caused by a toxin secreted by a bacterium known as Clostridium tetani, one of many toxin secreting Clostridia. These bacteria are anaerobic, meaning that they grow in conditions where there is no oxygen (such as a deep bite wound or puncture). Clostridia are soil bacteria, meaning that they live in dirt so it should be easy to see how a puncture contaminated with dirt would be the classical tetanus-yielding wound. Such wounds are particularly common on farms where there might be nails on the ground, ready to pierce a human or animal foot. A fight involving a bite wound and rolling around in dirt might also offer an opportunity for tetanus.
Signs of tetanus occur from about four days to three weeks or longer after infection is established in a wound. The animal may have a stiff gait, "lockjaw" can develop and the third eyelid may protrude across the eye. The animal will usually go down with all four legs held out straight and stiff and the head drawn back. Convulsions may occur and the animal.

Treatment consists of the tetanus anti-serum and antibiotics.
A vet visit may not be a bad idea at that. I'd also give him an UP/ACV and H2O drench(20 ml)....couldn't hurt at all.

He may just be in a lot of pain, maybe the vet could give a pain or steroid shot for the inflammation?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
He did have his CDT. ( tetnus) and was treated with Penicillan for 4 days afterwards. Maybe the steroid shot would be a good idea. I will ask the vet. Thanks Bee.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Steroids are often just the ticket! I know they really helped me when I was all inflamed with arthritis. Plus the side effect of making you hungry could be a bonus as well!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went out this morning to check on everyone...and there was Sonny, standing at the water trough. He didnt look "right" When I got close, I noticed he has green boogers running from his nose. UGH! Poor guy. Guess I will be calling the vet out...tomorrow. Dang....I wish he would get better. I feel so bad for him.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
20 Dec 09
I went back to the vet Friday and talked to him about Sonny. He agreed there might be something else going on. Another steroid shot...and another round of antibiotics....for 4 days. I am hopeing this does the trick. He was licking the salt block this morning...and tried to eat some grain. I have to go tomorrow and get a few more mineral blocks. Wow those big girls sure did go through it fast! I am hopeing Sonny will at least nibble on the mineral block. I saw him licking the remnants of the last one.
Got my Christmas cookies finished. Whew! 4 dozen chocolate chip....4 dozen butter cookies. It sure was alot more fun when the kids were home to help ice them. At least they are done and ready for the grandbabies on Christmas day.
I will be bakeing a pumpkin pie...Christmas eve...along with a cherry pie.
Gifts are bought and wrapped for the babies. I just love to see them tear into the packages. There are not a lot for them this year...but at least they have a few to open. I am just about caught up now...other than laundry, which I have going now. I have been sick with sinus infection, flat on my back...well..in my chair, for 2 days. I think I just about have it kicked tho...I hope so! I guess the stress of a sick Ram, and chicks hatching..and the Holiday coming..no money...sure let my guard down on the health front.
We did get a little snow...that made bakeing cookies fun. Not much to talk about, maybe an inch or so...but the ground is white...and the kitchen is warm. :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you are up and about, sorry that poor sonny is still struggling.

I need to get in the kitchen tomorrow. I already did one round of goodies for the kid's teachers and friends at school...now need to gear up for round 2!

Enjoy your little bit of snow...everyone seems to be getting some this weekend!