JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
31 Dec 09

Its the last of the "great 2009" Hubby had to work today, from noon till 8 pm to get his holiday pay. This gives me time to prepare for a quiet evening just him and I, bringing in the New Year. I have decided to make a small buffet type of snack foods...and we will sit in front of that "one eyed monster" ( the TV) and bring in the new year together. Our "buffett" consists of cheese squares, grapes, BBQ meatballs,shrimp, chili and cornbread, nachos and hot wings. Just snacky foods. We will have a glass of wine at midnight to toast the end of a trying year, and bring in the new one. I have brought in the firewood for the evening and will straighten the house a bit, but I dont plan to do anything big. Yesterday I moved 2 truckloads of firewood from the shop area, to the house, and stacked it....by myself.Today, I am sore, and dragging...so no big chores for me. Oh, I can see it now....Autumn will start lambing...because its cold, rainy, icy out there..and im sore and dont want to leave the comforts of my woodstove! I told her this morning...she better cross her legs, at least untill tomorrow...AFTERNOON! :lol:
I sat by the fire last night, and went through my seed catalog, from Gurneys. I was able to get it down to $86.00. I still think I might thin a little more from there...but, hubby was impressed! When I told him this morning I had my list ready he replied" How many hundreds are we talking about?" I thought for a split second..." I could increas this list...if thats what he was planning" But, I smiled and told him I kept it under $100.00. He just stared at me like a 3 headed monster...and said.." really? Under $100? Thats not bad at all." So I have the "go ahead" on THAT order. :D
Wonder if I can sneak in a few from another catalog? I am so wanting to try the watermelon " Moon and stars" Its so beautifull, gets to 40 pounds, and they are heritage. :thumbsup I think they would sell great around here...well, maybe. Folks in these parts can be a little cantankerous when buying "new things" We had Easter eggers, they laid the most beautifull pale blue eggs, and an occasional olive drab. I just "knew" they would sell. Boy was I wrong! About 95 % of my buyers would open the carton, and tell me..." Oh, I cant eat those blue or green ones" I tried to tell them there was no difference...they just shook thier heads, and said no way! So, I sold that flock of chickens right away.
Oh, hubby told me something this morning...made me laugh. There is a guy he works with who's nabor has cattle. These cows are always getting loose and coming up in his front yard. He told hubby, he was tired of chaseing cows, that wasnt his, so the other day, when he got home, there in the front yard was a small herd of cattle grazeing peacefully..again! So, he said he got his 4-10 thinking he would just shoot into the ground, and spook them into running off. Well, this had no affect on the cattle, munching on his lawn...so, another "bright idea" was to get the 22 rifle, and put a shot into ones behind...this would surely work. So, he gets his rifle...and pow, shoots one in the rump. On the other side of that cow...another cow was standing...and dropped dead!!! Apparently, the bullet went THROUGH the first cow, and caught the other just right, in the spine, and killed it on the spot!! He quickly got his 4 wheeler and drug the dead cow off behind his barn, and loaded it on a trailor..to take to his inlaws so they can process it. What was the chance, of THAT happening!?? Shoot one in the rump, and kill one on the other side!?! I guess he has had alot of trouble with this nabor, keeping his livestock on his own property. The sheriff has been involved, and told the guy " If they come back, and are tearing up your property, shoot em" :barnie Gotta love small town thinking. I was told the same thing, about my nabors animals...Turkeys, Guineas, donkeys...you name it, they come "visiting" I just grab a feed bucket, and lure them back to where they belong, and let the owner know. I could never shoot them...just not my style. I did however tell him, if the donkeys come over one more time, I will put them in my barn, and find them another home.
I hope everyone has a wonderfull, and SAFE New year. I think I will go card some wool..by the woodstove.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It sounds like you are going to have a nice New Years! Be safe and be warm! Happy New Year!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My D1 has a neighbor who keeps collecting animals. She seems to have a passion for tiny tiny little unmanageable stallions that kept getting out and going to D1's house to run her mares ragged in her pasture. (The little rats could get in the pasture through the littlest holes) We spent quite a lot of time rounding up stallions and stuffing them into the back of the dog catcher's truck.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
3 Jan 10

Bitter cold...thats all I can say....Brrrrrr.
It was 3 degrees this morning. Windy...ice everywhere!!
So I was cruising on Craigslist.......and I came across this guy who had woodstoves...new...cheap! So...we went and got one...

99_newwoodstove2010.jpg

It heats 2300 sq ft. We are SOoooooooo happy!!!! We splurged a little...but, it will be so worth it.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Mmmm.... I'm getting warm just looking at that photo... sort of :lol: Man, now I'm craving hot chocolate.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, we wont regret it....however. It is made so differently than the older King we had...and it takes some finessing to get a good fire going...and to get the heat flowing. It is going to be a learning process. The old King we had...was a "load and go" stove. I could easily have the family room up to 75 degrees in under an hour...this one took us 5 hours to get the room to 72. :/ I am gonna have to really learn quickly. LOL

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh, I am so jealous!!! I miss having a wood stove in the house....someday.... ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
4 Jan 10

I went out to feed the sheep...and PEarl, the white Ewe was down in the pasture...Sonny standing by her side. This Ewe i was not for sure is preggers...just fat. No milk bag...nothing!
However...her female area is quite swollen, and pink..so after lugging a 200 pound plus Ewe to the barn, I called out the vet. He came, did a vag exam, said she IS preggers, but not dialated. Her temp is normal...but she can't stand, wont eat or drink..and seems to be contracting. I was able to get her in the stall..and he reccommends warm oatmeal, with molasses. He thinks she might have toximia. Then, after he left...he called and said...I need to bring this humongous Ewe, IN THE HOUSE!! :ep Is he kidding me!??? FIRST, its about 350 ft from the barn to the house....and there is NO WAY I can carry her that far!! SECOND...IN MY HOUSE!??? Ewwwwwwwwww, no way! She is in a warm stall, fresh hay...dry bedding..and I will take her out some oatmeal with molasses. Any other ideas?? I dont have electric out there yet...so no heat lamps.