JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Did he mention, other than warmth, the reason you should bring Pearl into the house? I mean....never heard a vet advise to bring a full grown, fully fleeced sheep into the house or heated area during labor. Was he thinking you should be drying off lambs immediately in this weather and could better, and more quickly, do so in the house?

About this toxemia....what was he planning to do about it? Is dextrose the only treatment?

I don't know if you are still dealing with this, Just, but I am posting a few links that may help you...in particular, the one about toxemia. Read about the repeated dosages of dextrose....don't mean to alarm you but it's better to have some info than none, huh?

http://merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/80803.htm

And this one is about the normal lambing process:

http://www.sheep101.info/201/lambingprocess.html

Hope he is wrong about the toxemia and hope everything goes well....will be thinking about you during this stressful time. :hugs :fl

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bee. I have been reading up on toxemia....doesnt sound good. SHe is still laying on her tummy....I just came in from the barn, checking on her. She has poo'ed, and there now seems to be a white liquid draining from her..area. LOL
Im supposeing this might be her "plug"? IF so...it could be another 24 hours before she lambs...and by then I fear she will be too weak. I am going in tomorrow morning, after checking on her again, and asking him about a vitamin B shot for her. I was also wondering about this....

Hypocalcemia
Hypocalcemia (milk fever) is caused by the huge demands for calcium a near-term lamb makes on the ewe. The usual symptoms are that the ewe goes off her food, her ears are ice cold, her muscles stiffen, she goes down, and bloat may set in. The condition responds spectacularly to subcutaneous injection of 100ml. of calcium borogluconate solution (Cal-DextroTM #2). Inject in at least four sites and massage the site after the injection. Hypocalcemia most often strikes older ewes with multiple lambs.
Her ears are cold...but, its in the teens out there. So...I dont know. Something else for the vet to check into tho. She just looks so weak, and tired. :(

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Can you give injections? Can you get this from the vet? Will it hurt her if it is not hypocalcemia?

Somebody?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think it wouldn't hurt, don't you? It certainly couldn't hurt to give calcium injections at this point....the outlook is grim anyway if this is toxemia or hypocalcemia.

Your vet doesn't seem too aggressive, does he? :barnie Our local vet is sort of like that....I mean, he does a good job and he is cheap but he doesn't get real excited or won't come out for something like a lowly sheep. He'll let you bring it in and he does great, but he doesn't like to make emergency house calls at all. :(

Will be praying for your Pearl....did it say anything about getting her on her feet sooner than late if she is down? Where in the heck is James Herriott when you need him...... :he

I think I am feeling your urgency over here, Just.... :barnie

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'd be driving over there right now and banging on his door to get the meds for her tonight. Didn't your vet read the Herriott series? :/ Isn't that required reading in vet school?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When the vet was here, I explained that I just couldn't lose this Ewe. He said...and I quote..." you wont lose her" Yeah well...Im not so sure. No, he isn't overly aggresive...OR cheap. He was on his way to another emergency call, and stopped in to see what we had going on. I will definately be paying him a visit in the morning...if her condition hasn't changed.
I did try to get her on her feet....it was a no go. She is too heave for me to lift..and she just doesnt seem to have the energy to try. I believe she was contracting earlier...lifting her bum, wagging her tail...and grunting...then "panting" with her mouth closed. I felt the lamb moveing..but that was around 5 pm. Haven't felt for much since...I dont want to stress her too much. She is now laying quietly...not breathing hard...but at least breathing!!! She has a small drip of gooey white stuff coming out...so maybe all is still OK? Oh, this is sooo stressfull!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dang it! I wish I were there! Not that I could do anything but chew my nails along with you.....but I wish I could sit it out with you.

I mean...that helps, doesn't it? Sitting there holding her hoof and your hand? It would help me, I tell you! This is sheer misery! :barnie

Did the vet make any predictions as to WHEN we could expect these babies? :pop

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Justy..... Just sending you a hug! I will say a prayer for a safe and healthy delivery for poor Pearl. Hopefully the light of day will bring good news!

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd get the vet to see her again ASAP. I had a goat doe with the same symptoms and the outcome wasn't good. It was as if she was in labor but not dilated and therefore couldn't deliver.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am wondering just how much this vet really knows about sheep. Each vet has his area of preference. I just hope things turn out OK. I am praying on this end. :hugs