JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sorry justusnak, I have no experience with preggo sheepos, I just wanted to say good luck and I hope everything works out for the better. :hugs (I wouldn't put her in my house either. :p)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
justusnak said:
it takes some finessing to get a good fire going...and to get the heat flowing. It is going to be a learning process. The old King we had...was a "load and go" stove. I could easily have the family room up to 75 degrees in under an hour...this one took us 5 hours to get the room to 72. :/ I am gonna have to really learn quickly. LOL
My stove takes a while to get going too. I think most of the really efficiency stoves do - but once it is hot it will stay hot all day without a fire even going in it. Also once they are hot they are easy to keep going and they use so much less wood it is amazing.

As for the sheep - how about bringing her into your garage or in a stock trailer. I have seen both used as medical clinics in my days.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ok i burst out laughing... in the house!?!? where? the spare bedroom? maybe the kitchen (just kidding)

so can you run a heavy duty, outside extension cord out where she is??? not perfect buy might work????

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I know...like we ALL have a "spare room" for sheep to labor in, INSIDE?? HA! I have been in and out all day, watching her. She is breathing hard....and groaning. Poor gal. She is in a stall with LOTS of dry fresh hay, about a foot deep! I have blankets on her..to keep her a little warmer..I cant run extension cords that far, for heat lamps. Besides, they are all being used on the chickens! LOL
Ohhhh, woe is me!
Here is the latest pic...tell me...in labor? Im thinking YES!
99_pearlinl.jpg

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
In my years in a cold New England climate, animals that are used to being outside do NOT do well when brought into the house. Especially animals with a heavy coat. It is not likely heat that she needs. I could be wrong, but....

Yikes. I would be worried, too. Down but not dilated is not good. Where is FC? Calling FC! Who else has experience with preggers sheep?

:hugs

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just dont know what to do. She is still down...laying on her tummy, not her side. She seems weak....maybe she is resting? I checked her gums...nice and pink. The vet said to give her the dextrose...every 2 hrs. I have given her 3 doses. However, I read that dextrose slows the rumen action. UGH! She wont eat...or drink...and just seems...worn out. I did feel the baby kicking...so thats still ok....I think. Its 14 degrees outside...she is in a stall, with plenty warm bedding and a blanket over her....but I am so worried. Someone....please...give me advice! Im freaking out here! LOL :barnie This afternoon...she would raise her butt in the air a little, and wag her tail really hard...then relax. I was thinking it was labor...but now...nothing. Just laying there. :(

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
:hugs Take a deep breath. We are all with you and Pearl. Praying for advice for you! Some one will know something....

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Delia.... I just dont know what to do! I cant sit out there with her too long, its so bitter cold. But, when I sit with her...she lays her head on my lap..and closes her eyes. :( I guess all I can do now is waite..and pray!