Our dog got a rat! UPDATE on current tally

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was so excited :celebrate and just had to share.
We've been having a rat problem around our garden shed & attached chicken pen with atleast one nest of them. We've had a neighbor cat snooping around out there lately but no luck. (the cat that uses us as his drive-thru meals doesn't bother with such trivial stuff like catching the darn things :rant ) And our dog (Jack Russell) has been going nuts whenever he sees or smells one & has been digging all around the shed to get to them, but can't quite fit.

Tonight I was outside with him and he was sniffing around again. Then he stopped, waited & jumped (almost like a cat), when he turned toward me I seen something in his mouth. I ran up to him to see just as he bit down on it making a crunching noise :sick
Sure enough it was a rat :ya One down & a bunch more to go.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Good dog!! When I was a kid we had a collie shepherd cross and a neighbor with a wood pile up against the border of our yards. My dad has a rodent phobia and he was paranoid that we'd get mice. We didn't. We got rats. In his garden. The day that Koko cornered one and killed he decided she was the best dog EVER.
We got them here two summers ago. None of our dogs ever even tried.. These things are smart! We finally trapped them all but it took a few weeks.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:celebrate Good dog! Now that he has a taste so to speak, he'll probably be more assiduous in hunting the rest down.

My orange cat thankfully hunts quite well. Although he does leave me presents. Usually disemboweled :sick

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Want to come train my dog to kill rats instead of small owls? :he

Congrats on your JRT, I wish I had one around here! :)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aidenbaby--yes that's what they are known for--catching small animals that burrow down, like rodents & foxes & the like.

Occamstazer--I never really trained him in any way to speak of, he just naturally goes after anything that moves--rats, mice, cats, birds, chickens :he but he usually doesn't hurt the chickens, just likes to chase them when he's feeling frisky & wants to play-the chickens just don't want to play

Noobiechickenlady----AND HE DID!!! This am he & I went out and he got another one!! Then dropped it next to ANOTHER already dead rat.
:weee
So now he's gotten 3 in less than 2 days!!! Last night I made a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies for the family & with the last bit of dough I added some peanut butter just to shake up the mix. Scooby (our dog) has been running out of regular dog treats, so I made him some cookies too (but without the chocolate chips of course). He does have a sweet tooth or 3 or 4. :lol:

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As of 10:30am Pacific time, the count is now @ 4!!! woohoo, get along little doggie! :lol: