PamsPride's Journal-Free Kindle Downloads!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
I was blessed with 7 FULL 100 pound feed bags of Sweet Corn yesterday!!! We only had 4 feed bags so I ended up just throwing the other three bags worth up in the back of my van...good thing I have such a big van! LOL!
So today we are freezing sweet corn!! And waiting for the famous Aly to stop by!!
LOL You're funny!

I'm not famous! and I'm still waiting on keljonma to show up...I'm starting to get worried....

To top that off, my phone is out AGAIN! so I'm at the library right this minute checking to see if keljonma sent me any messages.

If we don't get out of her today, Pam, will you be home tomorrow? :hide

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
A Made to Trade Day sounds wonderful. I only have a few friends who make homemade items (maybe 2 :rolleyes: ) Seems like no one wants to take the time to do anything themselves.

Good luck with putting it all together!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I got all of the corn DONE!!! WOOT!!
I ended up with 38 GENEROUSLY filled freezer bags...so enough for 38 meals for my family of 8.
At this point if the SHTF we can at least live for a month or more just on potatoes, corn, and onions!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow you have a lot going on.

The van comes in handy again. That's a lot of corn. good job getting it all put up.

You had visitors??? I sure would be nice to live closer to you all.

Still playing softball as well???

G

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Aly had to reschedule to another day....so I am still anticipating her arrival...hopefully Tuesday!

Nope, softball is done! Soon it will be time for soccer! I seen that they are playing a game tonight but I have a field trip with the kids tonight to a baseball game.

Now I am just getting ready for the school year to start. I am so not ready!!!!!!!!! I am totally stressing about this school year....heck I am stressing about everything!! My mom is giving me a bad time about homeschooling my 7 yo this year. She said she needs a REAL job that pays $$!! I was hoping to start some preschool work with my 4 yo.

Our realtor called yesterday and said the guy who bought our apartment on land contract wants to put it up for sale because he doesn't want it anymore. Said that he would stick with it until it sold. So I am praying that he does!! I am also praying that it sells quickly!!!!

DH says that it is finally picking up at his work and he has stuff to do now.

My next project is changing my flock over to a more egg laying breed. These birds are about eating us out of house and home!!

I have been doing pretty good on the squirrel challenge. I would say that we have a good 3-6 months of food on hand now. At this point losing electric and losing all of the food in our freezer is a concern. I have talked to DH about making a 55 gallon metal drum and putting it up on metal braces to put gas in to have on hand for the generator and he has agreed that it is doable...but we are a little worried about people coming along and syphoning gas off and taking it all. But 55 gallons in fuel sure would be nice to have for the generator if the electric goes out!

I would still like to get two milk goats...start small and work our way up to a milk cow! LOL! But the time committment seems to be the hardest factor right now. Like tonight...we are going to the baseball game leaving around 4PM and will not be home until after 11PM. My mom, dad, and brother are going with us so we would not have anyone that could come up here and milk the goat for the evening milking.

I would like to put a fence around our property...mostly just on the side with the neighbor with the annoying dog...but we can not afford a fence. So now I am starting to think about some kind of shubbery. I need something that is IMPOSSIBLE to kill and that will be nice and thick so that the dog does not just easily walk through. Believe me they will try to kill it! I wouldn't be suprised if they told their mowing guy to just mow it over right after we plant them! He already mows a good 4 or 5 passes into our yard. So you can bet if I do plant some kind of shrubs I will be putting some heavy duty metal bars right next to them so if he does run them over he will tear up his mower!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's great to hear about your food storage. I think I am using mine more than storing right now but that's why its there. Right?

I was just talking to someone on another thread., I have this wild berry growing with really nasty thorns. My neighbor suggested we plant a green fence. Transplant the little suckers and put up some simple wire for it to climb on. Mine would be to deter coyotes and such. Seems doable. Maybe something like that would work for you as well.

With my two older kids starting school in a week I have been rolling around the idea of a couple goats. I have a bit more free time and the dairy would be great. Not sure though. It's a hard step to take.

have a great day. gina

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I sent about 15 of my BJG's off to freezer camp last night! 10 or 11 of them were big beautiful roos! I had no idea I had so many!! I still have at least 15 laying hens, one roo, and 9 babies out in the pen! No wonder I was going through feed like it was going out of style! I pick them up this afternoon from the nice Amish farm they went to stay at last night! Their stay is $1.85 each with packaging!
I pick them up today at 2pm.
I am also getting 3 dozen MORE eggs off of them to put in the 'bator. I got 4 dozen last week!
I am also getting a half gallon of cream milk for my cats (that I don't have) to try and make some butter for the first time! The cream is going to be a $3 donation. If this goes good I am going to get some for cheese and try that next!

I am going to a Chickie-Doo meeting tomorrow. It is through my step-sister's church. It is ladies only. They get together and talk about chickens, hobby farming, self suffient stuff, canning, and gardening. I am excited to see how it goes!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Busy girl!

Nice job of the food storage, I wish I were more focused...just not a priority right now.

How nice that you are so close to the Amish, and what a great deal on the chicken processing!

Do your BJG lay light brown eggs? or are the deeper brown? I have one odd girl who is laying a nice rich brown colored egg and two that are laying light brown/beige.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
That is a good deal on the chicken processing.

I wish more churches around here had SS classes or meetings. We have such a small church and I don't think many of them would be that interested.

After I get my outside canning center done (fall, maybe :/ ), I would like to host a canning party. It would be something easy, like jelly or relish.

Latest posts