PamsPride's Journal-Free Kindle Downloads!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Our flock is at Quail_Antwerp's now. She found Lou, our JBG, was hiding eggs. Is is possible that your ladies are hiding eggs as well? At 3 years of age, Lou was still laying 5 to 6 eggs a week for us.

Do you let your birds free range at all? That might help cut the feed bill some in warmer weather.

If you are putting chicken in the freezer, maybe you could exchange a freezer bird for something the neighbors and friends give you?

My dad was the oldest of 17, my mom one of the youngest of 14. Both were born during WWI. My dad always said a large family has love, not money. Probably why I am one of 5. :D Prayer might help you - ask God what His plan is for you and your family. :hugs

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
We are positive they are not hiding them. They have a huge pen and we have been locking them in at night since the raccoon attacks. We can't let them free range because of the neighbor's stupid dog! We have given them lots of garden and canning scraps!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I really miss the chickens for that reason! I have so much garbage now! :D The landlord doesn't want a compost heap. He said we could have chickens, but all the bedding would have to be put in the trash weekly. We have a burn pit, but the landlord insists it is swept out every week. :rolleyes: He is a "keep up with the Jones' in appearances" kind of guy.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
I am telling you EVERY woman I know that can have kids IS PREGNANT!!
NOT ME!!!!!!!!!

Pam, I understand how you feel, though. I've always wanted 4-6 kids, and with the baby now 13 months, I'd be lying if I said I'm not having a hint of the baby bug.....but I'm not sure another baby is a good idea of us.

The Bible says a man with many sons is blessed. It's the only reason I've been happy with having one daughter. It gives me comfort to know that God sent my husband 4 sons, as I take it to mean that my husband has somehow pleased God.

I would love to take a few BJG off your hands....We have 2 hens here, Lou, keljonma's BJG, and Ernie's Lil' Lou. I know Ernie's been wanting a small flock of BJG's and I've been wanting to get some from you. I really only want 1 roo and a couple girls, though.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
keljonma said:
QA If you come up to PP's let me know; we're not that far. :D
Uh :hide Don't see that happening! LOL After last night, Ernie put his foot down....his words were, "No more! No more running all over God's creation just to get more animals! We're trying to winterize here!"

:gig

Apparantly, even my enabling hubby has his limits!!!!!!!!!!

Might still try to sneak in a few BJG......... :hide

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
QA, you only have until they are big enough to go off to freezer camp! LOL!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I am working on making and canning chilli and tomato juice with tomatoes from my garden. I filled up my 20 quart roaster last night with chilli. So far my HUGE pressure canner pot is filled with juice that is cooking down....plus another gallon of juice waiting to be put in the pot. And the boys are out picking the last of the tomatoes out of the garden right now. My brother is picking me up some Italian sesoning blend from Sam's so I can make this batch into speghetti sauce.
I plan on putting the chilli into pints so that it is the perefect portion size for DH's lunches. He loved it when I did that for him last year.
I figure my chilli is practically free because I am using tomatoes from my garden, beans from WIC, chilli powder that I have had for a while, ground meat that was given to us and onions from out of that big batch I was given.

I can't wait to see how many canning jars I get today! My DH was like 'where are we going to store all of these jars?' All I am thinking is "What can I fill them with?"

Day after tomorrow and I get to leave on my trip!!! Woohoo!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
I can't wait to see how many canning jars I get today! My DH was like 'where are we going to store all of these jars?' All I am thinking is "What can I fill them with?"
:gig sounds like our house! :lol:

Latest posts