PamsPride's Journal-Free Kindle Downloads!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I sent my BJG's off to freezer camp today. The lady said my chickens were about 3 weeks to a month away from laying. :barnie
I was kind of upset about that and then I remembered that my other layers should be laying about then too and they do not eat anywhere near as much! She did say that she could tell that they were very well fed!
The kids saw the whole process and even helped ALOT!! My 7 yo was trying to pop off heads and everything! The boys were all helping the guy take them out of the crates and hang them up. They had a grand time!

A guy in front of us had Cornish X's and man were those nice meat birds!

It looks like I may have to cancel my Made to Trade Day. :rolleyes: So far I have one person that said they are coming and she said she was bringing Christmas cookies, zucchini bread, and other baked goods from out of her freezer. My mom does not want any baked goods...especially from out of someone's freezer. My mom makes super good baked goods so she doesn't really want to bite the bullet and trade some of her stuff that she has a lot of money and time in for baked goods. I only have time in my blueberry syrup, applebutter, and T-shirt bags so I am willing to trade for cookies and such. I was really hoping more people would be interested but it seems like so many people are busy this time of year. Several said they would be more inclined to come to the February one when they have more time.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So the birds are all done. Good to hear. I like that your kids were involved. Sorry about your made to trade party. Maybe in Feb. Have a great day.

gina

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Aww, sorry to hear about the swap falling apart.That is a bummer and I know you were excited about it. I am sure you can make it work sometime....it is a great idea. Maybe giving people a whole year notice for one next year at the same time would get more people interested!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My neighbor called to tell us he had some deer meat for us...three grocery bags full!! WOOT! Haha...when he gave it to us it had the TKD teacher's name on one of the packages...the TKD teacher's wife is the neighbor's niece. Our TKD teacher just got us a LITTLE button buck last weekend. It cost us $50 for the processing and it was only about 30 pounds of ground meat. So, now that I got this other meat that actually makes it worth it! LOL!
While I was there he gave me some acorn squash and garlic.
So, I went home and got him some blueberry syrup, applebutter, pears, and cider for him and ran it down. Then he gave me a quart jar of hot pepper spread/mix. He said he puts a TEASPOON in his chili or speghetti sauce to give it some bite but it is not THAT hot! LOL! It looks hot looking at in the jar! LOL!
I saw his potato bin...he is the neighbor that gave us our potatoes to plant...and Holy Smokes he has a ton of potatoes!! He has a nice wooden bin he made up. I can't wait until my chickens start laying so I can bless them on a regularly basis.

Between the chickens and the deer meat our freezers are pretty full right now! Like if someone else calls saying they have a BIG deer for us it might not fit...small deer would but not a BIG one! But, I am not turning away any meat! I will turn into jerky or dehydrate it before I turn it away! Praise the Lord for all of the blessings!!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Sounds like the Father provided a Trade of His own !!! How blessed you are to be provided for in such a fashion.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
For dinner tonight we had chicken (we raised ourselves), mashed potatoes (from our own garden), carrots (from my mom's garden), and corn (we froze up) for dinner tonight! Oh, it was so good! Rootbeer floats for dessert tonight!!

My friend Betty called me tonight as soon as I walked in the door from paying bills to tell me they had turkeys for .40 a pound at her local Giant Eagle. So I rushed right over there and I was able to load up on 3 turkeys for .40 a pound today!! WOOT!! WOOT!! I got the last 4 turkeys in the bin! (One was for my mom.)

I was on my way home tonight...the first time....and I felt so totally unprepared!! It was 6:30, completely dark, cold but not freezing, I had my 10 yo, 12 yo, and baby girl with me. All I was thinking was what if something happened...like an EMP attack or just plain something bad....How would I get home?
I had a light jacket, shoes that were not meant for walking long distances. The baby had on a heavy outfit, no coat, hat, shoes, just 2 or so baby blankets.
10 yo just had on a t-shirt, no coat at all.
12 yo had on a sleeveless t-shirt and a light jacket.
We had one bottle of water and no food. I was 45 minute drive from home! If all communication was cut off and we were unable to continue driving home how long would it take? How would we make it? I did not even have all of the kids with me...which was very unusual! I just went to Walmart. Then I started think wow what if I was even further away from home and something happened. I did not even have a working flashlight in the van. The kids have managed to KILL (as in dead, broke, busted, not repairable) every flashlight we have ever owned or drained the batteries.
Forget a BOB I want a BHB...Back Home Bag!!
Walking home the 21 miles just from Walmart with would take several hours at best!! Let alone doing it completely unprepared in the dark!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I keep trying to keep an emergency bag of some sort in the car and my husband keeps taking it out and my grocery bags too. He says they take up too much room. What??? I keep a backpack for both kids packed and usually take it in the car with us so they have extra clothes. I do have a flannel blanket in the car so at least we could wrap up in that. What I NEED for him to remove from the car are all the kids toys.....now they take up too much room :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been thinking about that a lot. After your post about your dh and how far he would have to walk. I don't really ever travel that far from home and thankfully the weather here would not be that bad. I am sorry you felt unprepared but you did make it home safely and I am sure this will be a learning experience for you.

With your CCW certificate do you carry all the time?

This summer my kids were constantly getting in the van to run to Aunties or swim partially dressed and with inadequate shoes. Then when I put my foot down they would throw fits. I would ask what happens if the car broke? Would you want to walk home in a swim suit with no shoes? They got the point.

I was as cost co the other day and they ave a one man survival pack for 9 bucks. It contained the mylar blanket, water packet, food bar and a couple other things. I should have grabbed one for dh truck. Not much but at least something. Maybe I will just spring for a premade one on Emergency Essentials.

I just asked my dh if he would be able to walk home if he was at work. Which currently is about 50 miles away. He said "he## No". I said you better!!! looks like I better get him prepared too. :idunno

Have a great day.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
You bring up a good point, one that crosses my mind once in a while, but that I have not taken action on.

I have a first aid kit in the car but that is it! Although like Gina, I rarely drive that far and almost never at night.