PamsPride's Journal-Free Kindle Downloads!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Yep! I carry all the time!
I still have not got a bag together for DH.
I have been saving all of the decent bookbags people have given to me so I could put bags together. I just haven't actually done it. :rolleyes: One of my biggest mental blocks to getting it done is how do I put water in it...and for DH's what kind of food would I put in it? I am guessing it would take him a few days, at the least, to walk home from work.
Water will freeze and bust in a bag this time of year. Although I am in the habit of always taking a water bottle with me when I leave the house. I can do snack crackers for me and the kids. I will eat the tuna/mayo crackers things but DH will not touch anything with mayo in it! DH near always have a bottle or two that is empty in his car so I have reminded him that he can fill them up before he leaves work. But I am at a total loss as to what I can pack him for a few days of travel. This of course would be preparing for a total SHTF situation which seems unlikely.
I feel pretty prepared AT home. What are the chances that I would be out somewhere with the kids when something goes wrong?
How long will it actually take DH to walk home the 50 miles from work so how much stuff should I put in his bag?
How long would it take me with 6 kids to walk home from any given place I normally shop? I was thinking about how much harder it would be to carry the baby in my arms the whole walk as well because I did not have a sling or stroller to put her in.
We have already had our van break down in the cold and rain! That is when I found out I only had ONE diaper in the diaper bag for an evening out AND we left the cellphone at home! :smack

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I would think that a handful of protein bars, some trail mix and some crackers would work for your hubby. I mean he would be headed home, not really sittig down to enjoy a meal :gig. Once you get that bag in his car, you can keep your eyes open for some other more substantial things that you could add.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My MIL totally blessed us again yesterday! As if the new refrigerator was not enough! She took my 14 yo shopping for Christmas. She asked what he needed most for Christmas and I told her new shoes or jeans. I never expected her to spend so much!! She got him a pair of Sketchers for $55. Like 5 or 6 pairs of jeans. A couple of them were on clearance from Kohl's so not to bad, but at least one pair of jeans had a $50 tag on it!! I am hoping she got them on sale! One was a pair of Dickeys that he needed to go with his Ranger uniform. She also got him a pack of black socks, two packs of underwear, and a belt. The belt was $22.50 and then she got a second belt for DH at half price. I know that my 14 yo did not talk her into anything because he is not that type of child! She wanted to take him out in person so that he could try the shoes on because those are so hard to fit without him there to try them on.
She is taking my 10 yo out on Monday for his turn to go shopping! What a major blessing!!
I am not sure what 10 yo is going to talk her into buying for him though...he could use a pair of shoes but he does not need any clothes. He is still at a good size that we have plenty of hand me downs for him.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I've also wondered what we would do out and about...... good things to think about.

Sorry about your trade day. We've been moving so had no idea what today would be like.

Sounds like you have a lot of blessings in your life now! Congratulations!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My MIL is awesome!! I told my DH that I am going to ask for a new kitchen next year! LOL!! She is the one that has bought almost everything in our kitchen....microwave, Kitchen Aid mixer, food processor....she gave me a juicer....the refrigerator! We just need to replace the rest of the kitchen! The cupboards are in terrible shape!
This is the first year she has taken the older three boys out and taken them shopping like this. She takes my 4 and 7 yo shopping all the time...but that stuff generally stays at her house for when they go over which is at least once a work.
My MIL took us on a cruise one year to the Bahamas! That was like 6 years ago. We paid for part of it and then she gave us the rest.
I am guessing that she is able to do so much for us this year because she has not taken any cruises. Her and her sister (DH's aunt) usually take 2 or more cruises a year. They are both single. But DH's aunt has his cousin living with her and she had to pay a ton of court fines and such for her so money is really tight for her now.
Plus DH's mom helps his brother with his finances a LOT!! I don't say a word about that because she more than makes up for it with the babysitting help! When we had my sister's three kids she was the only one that would watch ALL the kids for us!! That was 8 kids under that age of 9 at the time! DH's brother does not have any kids.
She has truly been a blessing from God!!

I am in the process of making some deer jerky now. I totally need a couple more dehydrators!! The kids keep coming in and saying how good it smells!

Later this evening we are going back over to DH's friend's house to try out the long arm quilting thing! He said he has it working nice and smooth now. I can't wait to try it out again!

I picked up some yeast yesterday to try to start making my own bread.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Oh, I did cancel the Made to Trade day this morning. I only had two people confirmed to come. Two backed out on Wednesday and one got sick yesterday so I didn't figure that 4 people would make it a huge success. But, I do however have a LOT of interest in it for February!! Most people just said they were to busy this time of year and that Feb would work great for them! The one lady, Cindy, that had committed to coming said that would give her time to get her sister, mom, MIL, and DD all organized to come too!! How cool is that!! So I WILL try again!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
We are making up some deer jerky...about 10 pounds of ground meat to start with. YUMMO!! The second batch is coming out better than the first batch because I added more seasonings to it! DH says it is good enough now but I think it needs just a little more! I picked up some hotter spices while I was out tonight and I plan on adding it to the last batch and making it hotter!
My kids could literally go through the jerky like it is going out of style so I will have no problem storing meat if people get us more deer!
This is my time making it! It is not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Heck it is a LOT easier than pears! LOL!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My MIL took my 10 yo shopping for his Christmas presents today. She got him a pair of Sketchers, a belt...not a dressy belt...he picked it out, three packes of socks...one large pack white and two small packs of black, then she got him a watch and a pair of good winter gloves. The shoes were $55...but they were on sale half off so less than $30. The watch was $50...but it was 15% off! She also said that she would probably get him a video game for Christmas because she did not spend as much on him as she did on my 14 yo. She is also going to get my 12 yo the same basic things as she did my 10 yo because he does not need shirts and pants.
I am so grateful and thankful that she is blesses us...my oldest definetly needed it...I just wish she was not putting this on her credit cards to do it. I did not ask her to do this....did not even come close to it! She is doing this because she wants to but it is hard for me to let her since I know she is putting it on a credit card.