Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Very smart managing of the poultry and I'm proud of you also. Glad to know that you can prioritize even if you love your birds! :bouquet If I were a guy, I'd want such a good, sensible wife as yourself. :lol: :p

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Thanks, Bee. It wasn't easy. The hens I sold are ones I purchased by selling my digital camera last spring. It was hard choosing which hens would go. I made sure I kept the two I had named :p LOL

I now have 5 Buff Orpington hens and 6 Speckled Sussex hens. I can always hatch more in the spring from their eggs. Replace what I sold that way.

On other news, Shadow isn't definitely coming this weekend. They are still trying to work out the trailer issues. I told them that was fine, God works everything out in his own time. I can be patient!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I made myself feel better...I just pre-ordered more chicks for spring! :weee

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I love ordering chicks!! The anitcipation of knowing they are coming is so much fun!!

If you are hatching eggs now how are you keeping your ckicks warm? Are they in the house or do you have a heated barn or garage that they are in?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Quail, sounds like you are getting all your ducks...er chicks in a row.

Congrats on the horse.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
PamsPride said:
I love ordering chicks!! The anitcipation of knowing they are coming is so much fun!!

If you are hatching eggs now how are you keeping your ckicks warm? Are they in the house or do you have a heated barn or garage that they are in?
The ones I just hatched on November 1 and 2 are in a plastic tote in my livingroom (right her beside me to be exact) with a heat lamp on them.

Currently, I have no eggs in my 'bators and do not plan to hatch anything until.....well I want to say March, but yea, January I am sure there will be eggs in the 'bator LOLOL

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Quail, your in box is full. (You must be a popular gal!!)

How many chicks do you have in the house...living room right now? I don't think my DH would go for that this time of year!!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I think I am wanting to put eggs in the 'bator around the first week of April...maybe sooner. January is definetly out for me! I plan on doing my sewing in January to get ready for the baby. I want to make a carseat cover, cloth diapers, burp clothes, baby's first boutique outfit, baby blanket, tag blanket...etc. Plus it is DD's birthday in Jan so I want to make her a cupcake outfit. I already have the material. So dealing with chicks or hatching eggs then would be to much for me!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, right now I have in my livingroom brooder 7 cochin chicks (3 of which are frizzled cochins), one sizzle chick, 4 blue silkie chicks, 1 black sex link chick, 2 standard Salmon Faverolle chicks, 2 bantam salmon faverolle chicks, 1 silver pheonix chick, 1 mutt chick. Total, 18 chicks. Had more than that, but I sold 4 silkie chicks today.