Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I heard of people owning de-scented skunks...hmm..is that next? LOL

just busting your chops! :)
Actually, ferrets are a part of the polecat family :D Just domesticated.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Hey, QA! I talked with our pastor today. She said her hubby is from that town you mentioned that is 9 miles from you! SMALL WORLD!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
QA where have you been at today?? What were you up to today?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
QA - are you still sick? I can't believe you are well and not posting.

Let us know how things are.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
ROTFL Miss me guys?!!

Yes, I am fine! I feel great! Just busy busy busy!!

We went up to get my birthday present yesterday so we were gone almost all day. You know, because we can't just get up there and come straight back.

THEY ARE GORGEOUS!!!

Now there were a few things I wasn't happy about, but I figured I can't be totally happy with a person rehoming her wees, and I don't think she was totally telling the truth, but they seem healthy. I have her vet info and she did get them their shots, and River (the girl) was tested for adrenal, but came back normal. They just turned a year old July 16, 2008. She let us take their cage and toys with them. Not too impressed with their cage, and their hammie is definitely getting tossed and a new one put in today. I didn't want to stress them out too bad by changing their bedding right off.

We stopped at a local pet store on the way home to pick up more tone and food for the wees. I hadn't been to this pet store in awhile, and told DH that I wanted to go there because they didn't sell ferrets and I would rather they have my business than a ferret selling store.

WRONG.

They had ONE Marshall Ferret kit. A little female that looked just like my Snickers. Well, the worker she let me hold her, and talk to her, poor thing just loved that she was getting attention..and I joked that they should let us buy her on discount since she was the only one left and would be lonely....to which the girl replies "We have another shipment coming in tonight." I replied, "Oh poop." She then goes on, "we've had no trouble selling them. We can't keep them in, I think it's because of the holidays."

To which MY reply was "Oh great, so that means a month after Christmas it's going to be that many more in the shelters or on craigslist!" Should have seen the look on HER face.
She then gives me this spiel about how she tells the people how to care for them and what is involved with their care, and at this point I am ready to boil and my DH says to her, "You can tell them until you are blue in the face, but they don't realize the work involved with their care until they have them. My wife cleans her cage 2 times or more a week. How many people that buy these ferrets will do that? How many are going to let them out of the cage to play? They don't know what the work is until they have them and then they find out it is more than they want to mess with and then they dump them at shelters or list them on CL."

She could only say, "Oh I hope not! that would break my heart!"

E's point that she totally missed was if they are buying them as gifts for family members or friends for xmas then they aren't shopping smart. His concern, because of what she said about it being hard to keep them in with the holidays, is that people are giving ferret kits as xmas gifts and then the recipients don't want them because of the care involved.

Anyhoo, we paid for our ferret food and tone and headed home. I gave River and Kodo food and water and they filled their little bellies and cuddled up in their hammie and fell asleep. River has already bathed my face in kisses and Kodo wants to do nothing but play.

My camera batteries have died, so I need to put more in for pics today, but River is a Champagne Panda and Kodo is a Sable, looks identical to Meeko!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Glad to hear from ya, QA!

I agree with you - people should not buy animals for others as gifts EVER! :somad If a person wants an animal, they will buy it for themselves! Like you said, this is why animals are dumped - on country roads, at the end of farm drives, in the woods, in shelters.... :rant

So happy to hear the little darlings are getting settled in nicely. What?! You didn't ask for a new battery for that camera?! :lol:

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Glad to hear from ya, QA!

I agree with you - people should not buy animals for others as gifts EVER! :somad If a person wants an animal, they will buy it for themselves! Like you said, this is why animals are dumped - on country roads, at the end of farm drives, in the woods, in shelters.... :rant

So happy to hear the little darlings are getting settled in nicely. What?! You didn't ask for a new battery for that camera?! :lol:
Or dumped on the friends and relatives. That's how I ended up with two "Easter ducks" that I really didn't want, expecially when they turned out to be males. They now live in the freezer.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea never give pets to others as presents unless asked for specifically! You are right...so many will be looking for homes after the holidays.

Ugh---but that is what pet stores do...sell pets, as many as they can!

Glad to hear all is good...you not posting is like something is wrong with the heavens..HA HA HA HA

How many critters does this make in ferrets now? 5?

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Yes that makes 5 ferrets, and they are running around the house making messes, dooking, and having a grand ol' time!

I have two friends who run ferret shelters. Every shelter they know of is full to the max. If someone wants a ferret for Christmas, there are alternatives to pet stores!