Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Aly..........E is prolly gonna kill me for telling you this, but....one of our neighbors raises Haflingers. :hide

:gig

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
:gig

Nah, 1 halflinger is enough for now! This one is gelded, too, so I was pleased with that information!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Aly :frow gosh I am, so far behind and out of the loop here...you got/are getting a new place? For your current property? Did you get your water on?

You and E are lucky to have each other....it has always sounded to me that you two are pretty rock solid. :thumbsup

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I would not bother getting him shod. Ponies have very tough feet and they will actually do much better barefoot than shod unless you are working them on very rocky soil or concrete.

We always keep our ponies barefoot, but trimmed. Most of the horses needed shoes.

Check out Craigslist for harness or let the Amish help you. I am actually quite fond of the new nylon harness sets they hold up a LONG time and are cheap. You need to focus on buying a work harness. You can pull a buggy with a work harness but you CAN NOT work a horse in a driving harness or they will get sore.

I have been breaking horses to ride and drive both for years. I love driving horses.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
A nylon harness set is exactly what the Amish suggested to us, too! :D

I have batteries for my camera now, so I'm going to try to get pictures of Wright (whose name I am changing to Moon because he's the golden color of a harvest moon) when they bring him over on Monday.....

MONDAY!!!! whoot! I thought it wouldn't be until the first week of August, or a week from this Friday at the earliest - today he told us they will start the logging on Monday, so they will bring Wright (Moon) with them then! :D

OH, I almost forgot - I sold all of the Baby Dukes today! Plus the three lop bunnies I got at Auction! :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Thanks, keljonma! he's not here yet, and upon further consideration, I think we're going to take our Amish friend up on his idea of letting us keep him for a week or two as a "trial run" and see how we like him.

E kind of has a "job". Doesn't require ANY work on his part - but it's not like a regular paying job. He's been taking our Amish Friend back and forth to work, and to the store, etc. :) Easy Peasy! and they pay so much per mile, I think, so gas is covered and it puts a few extra dollars in E's pocket.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Thanks, keljonma! he's not here yet, and upon further consideration, I think we're going to take our Amish friend up on his idea of letting us keep him for a week or two as a "trial run" and see how we like him.

E kind of has a "job". Doesn't require ANY work on his part - but it's not like a regular paying job. He's been taking our Amish Friend back and forth to work, and to the store, etc. :) Easy Peasy! and they pay so much per mile, I think, so gas is covered and it puts a few extra dollars in E's pocket.
Well, if you decide to get into the Amish taxi business, we have friends that have done that up here for quite a number of years. Don and Joy could probably answer any questions you have. Actually they have to retire due to medical reasons, so I think they have a 16-passenger van for sale.... :lol:

edited for typo

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We've had a fairly busy, full weekend - even through the disappointment of having to postpone the SS cookout.

We FINALLY managed to get a 150 gallon water trough for the cows - so we won't (hopefully) have to haul water for them every day. Previously, we were using just a storage tub and had to fill it 3 times a day - which meant (especially with not having rain) running to the spring every day.

Last night it poured down (YAY) and near filled our 55 gallon rain barrels, so we were able to fill the trough without having to run down to the spring!

I had managed to take a few critters to Roger's on Friday - and brought more home. :hide

I've been wanting to build a nice flock of Royal Palm turkeys - especially since Lady Clara and Gwen were killed on their nests last year. Hadn't had much luck with that, and when Lance got mean and started attacking even the kids, we sold him.

Friday, they were auctioning off several sets of Royal Palm turkey poults. I had the top bid, and they asked if I wanted them all - I asked how many are there? Auctioneer says, "Oh about 40 -"

I said, Uh no, just give me a box of 4! E would have been livid if I had bought all 40!

Then they brought out some pea chicks and I got a black shoulder pea chick and an India Blue pea chick.

And then they brought out more turkey poults! :th

I thought they said they had a box of 2 Royal Palms, so again I got the top bid and took the box with 2 poults - except at the end of the night when I went to pay, it wasn't 2 poults in the second box, it was SIX! so between two boxes of poults, I came home with 10 RP.

I also bid and won 4 Lop Bunnies with Pedigrees. Was supposed to be two bucks, two does, but when I got home, I only had 1 doe. I need to check their tattoos in their ears, see if the ear number matches - because either the breeder mixed up the paperwork, or the buyer of the third cage switched the red doe I was supposed to get for the red buck in the last cage.

So Friday was good.

Would like to take time to relax today, but that's not going to happen. We're going to be leaving shortly for church, and then I'm going up with Becca to camp meeting to pack up the book store. Then when we get home, E and I are going to work on making sure the logging road has a clear path for the Amish who are going to start logging our back fence line tomorrow and we're going to be putting the new gate on the front pasture.

We also have to work on building a holding pen for when/if we get Boss sold. The holding pen will come off where we're putting the gate, so hopefully this will make it easier to load Boss into a cattle hauler.

The Amish guy thinks Boss goes about 700-750# .... so if we sold him at $1/lb live weight, we'd get about $700-$750 BUT since we're not able to weigh him, and are just estimating, I think we're going to advertise him for $500 out right. I have to take his pic today and get the ad wrote up for CL.

E got himself a Turkey magazine from TSC - it's a bi-yearly publication I think...spring and fall? anyway, it shows the floor plans for a nice turkey tractor, that would take the place of the hoop houses. E thinks the turkey tractors will look neater around the yard vs. a bunch of tarped hoop houses :lol:

E has also been hired by the Amish again to take one to PA drop him off one day, and pick him back up a few days later! They paid him fairly well this past week for running them places. E agreed to the job. :D

Yesterday we went down to the Amish School Benefit auction, too. We couldn't stay, so we made arrangements for our Amish friend to bid on a stack of locusts fence posts for us. We checked with him last night, and he managed to get us a stack of 13 posts!! :celebrate We paid him, and tomorrow we get to go pick up the posts! Going to save A LOT of my back not having to flip the posts out of the woods to finish the pasture we're working on right now! :D

eh, it's time to get dressed for church!

Happy Sunday, Folks!