Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Why yes they DO have Congratulations on the Divorce cards!

BTW I was looking through some old family pictures when hubbies mom died and found several of MY baby pictures among them. I was really surprised when I found out it was not me - it was my hubbies BROTHER! :lol: Even side by side our baby pictures until we were about a year old look almost identical.

Obviously we DON'T look alike now - thank goodness! So see there IS hope for E yet! :p :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Obviously we DON'T look alike now - thank goodness! So see there IS hope for E yet! :p :lol:
Oh thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The most important family is your own personal family. I know a family whose daughter was molested by a cousin (husband's side). The husband won't do anything about it because he doesn't want to rock the boat with his family. He just yells at his wife to keep the daughter away from the cousin. Much more going on in that family than is worth writing but know that you did the right thing and no matter how hard, sometimes it is best to stop seeing people, even those who are family. Sometimes you really have to think hard about just cutting ties so they can't eat you alive.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Sometimes you really have to think hard about just cutting ties so they can't eat you alive.
ok, i so love that you said this - and it's going to become my sig line I think! :lol:

We made last night a "movie night" and rented some movies from the small grocery in the little town next to us. For the kids we rented Disney's "Princess and the Frog" which was cute, but also kind of stupid. The kids enjoyed it. Mom and dad, not so much.

'Course, the kids are thrilled to get any kind of T.V. period!

We also had gone down to our Amish friend's home to get water for his horses. While the logging is going on, the horses are in our pasture. He told us to just come down and get water at his place when ever we need it. Plus, he has 15 gallon containers he filled to send home with us for his horses.

Today we're headed over to our "new" trailer to use the washer for our laundry (we did get permission to do this, and saves on paying at the laundromat) and make sure we have all the right tools needed for tearing down on Saturday.

The local Amish friends we know have offered to help us move it, because they think it's going to be cheaper if we rent a tractor instead of paying $700-$900 to a guy for moving it. Tractor rental for 1 day is about $200-$300 - and our Amish friends know how to operate tractors. They said to call the sheriff's dept. first, make sure we'll be legal to do it with the tractor. So, we did and they said they were OK with it, but we also need to check with the State Hwy Patrol....so we'll be calling them today.

Yesterday we were asked what are we going to do with our existing trailer. We said we're going to scrap it out - it really just needs scrapped. We are going to try to salvage as much of the lumber as possible for building chicken coops or other out buildings we might need.

Monday is our 12th Anniversary. :) BeccaOh may be watching our kids Sunday evening so we can go out for our Anniversary, but we're not sure what we're going to do yet. If anything. :/

The kids were officially pulled out of TRECA yesterday, and the process has been started to put them back in public school. I'm sooo NOT looking forward to the monster list of supplies. :p

Well, that's about it....we want to be over to the new house by 9 am, and if I remember, I'll take my camera and try to get some pics....

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
When my sister moved on to her property she had THREE old (insert the word GARBAGE) mobile homes on the property. The past owners had just pulled in a newer one and left the old one sitting when it got uninhabitable. (Stress THAT word. One of the homes smelled so strong of urine and feces you could not get within 100 yards of it without gagging!!! :sick)

She had scrappers come and remove all of the metal (and there was semi-truck loads of stuff) laying around and they scrapped the trailers as well. Wish you could have seen it. It was amazing. We came to "help", but the scrappers brought a big bobcat, a claw on the back of a huge truck, three guys with cutting torches and big hammers, a flat bed truck (they removed two trucks, two cars, and a what once was a tractor heap), and TWO open top box semi trucks which they filled and one of them TWICE!!

I don't know if your trailer is built like those were but the wood was just barely wood. Not worthwhile at all. On the other hand the trailers ALL had copper pipes ($) lots of aluminum parts including siding on a couple ($) and the iron in the frame, which were "I" beams was cut with a cutting torch and sent to the recyclers as well earning the scrappers more ($)!

You should be checking out where to take the metal for the best price.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We're on it, Farm :lol: We've already done our homework, we know what scrap prices are right now, and the outside of this trailer is all aluminum ($), we know there is copper wiring ($), AND the frame is where we're going to make our MOST $!

The floor joists are 2x6's - which surprised us, because they don't always use good lumber in these old trailers. The walls - not so sure about any usable lumber from them - but we're still going to check.

We have thought about recycling the paneling off these walls into the interior of some of my chicken coops - thought it might add a little extra insulation for the chooks come winter. We'll see though - I'm of a mind to get rid of every reminder of this trailer.

We're finishing up our morning coffee and then heading out...

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We're back from our new house - and here's the promised pics.

My favorite features in the new house are:

- it has an actual laundry room! not a hall way that has a washer and dryer, but a room with a door!

- it has a bar separating living room from kitchen

- built in book shelves!

The whole thing is a LOT better than what we are in now, so I'm just super excited!!

and now for the pics!

14550_front.jpg

View from the back door into kitchen and front room

14550_viewfmbkdr.jpg

Laundry room - I'll be taking down the shelves on the right side and moving those to somewhere else - maybe the boys' room so that their favorite stuffed animals can be set up on it.

14550_laundryrm.jpg

Kitchen/dining area as viewed from the living room. The laundry room is down the hall behind E as well as the boys' bedroom.

14550_kitchendining.jpg

Inside the kitchen - this is the area right behind the bar.

14550_kitchen.jpg

This is the bar, with the built in book shelf.

14550_bar.jpg

Kids bathroom - which is the bigger of the two bathrooms because we thought 5 kids would need more space in the bathroom for all their stuff, rather than 2 adults LOL

14550_kidsbath.jpg

Our bathroom/guest bathroom - when we add on, we have plans to build a new master bath off our bedroom (what's DD's bedroom for now) and this will be just the guest bathroom.

14550_parentsbath.jpg

That's all for now - I'll have more pics from the tear down on Saturday :D

Panther Creek Homestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So excited for you. Your mobile home looks almost like ours, except that ours still has the washer and dryer in the hall. Our plan is sometime to find a stack washer and dryer and then use the extra space for a closet for our outside work clothes. Right now we have a coat rack on the wall and in the winter it gets kinda tight getting in the backdoor. My real dream is to have a sunporch/lean to that would hold all of our coats, boots and give Big K a place to sit and put his boots on and keep all the mud and grime out there.

Enough of my rambling.......So we are looking forward to seeing more pictures once you are in it.

Sheila

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
WOOO!!!!! How awesome is THAT!!???? Lookin good girl, I have to say! I know you are really chomping at the bit to get in, and I sure don't blame you :D Can't wait to see more pics!!!