rty007 winemaking Q

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey rty007, (guerilla)

I have chocolate cherry tomato seeds and purple carrots. I loved the carrots, they were yummy. I now have a rainbow blend packet of carrots. I have not planted the tomatoes, but I have tasted them. They were good, but I like a little more acidic varieties like small, yellow pear tomatoes etc.

I ordered my heritage seeds from Baker Creek. I got lots of weird seeds that I am going to experiment with up here in my climate.

Good luck!

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:th its snowing....
I have my guerilla-gardening backpack packed, I have a great spot, it has already mainly thawed, the temperatures were above zero... and today I got up to a snowing madness :barnie. It ain't FAIR. but I hope it wont be much more then a couple of days now.

with the snow going ON... I had some work done, then some translating done, then did some research on the big livestock, that I did not do to much till now, Cows that is. The accommodation they(EU) require, how many cows does it take to be a heritage herd breeder, you have to have at least 4 cows (of the red polish cattle) and at least 10 sheep does. which is kind of a lot, considering also chickens and rabbits. But on the other hand you folks don't get EU donation, which I would so the land would be my provider without the need for any external work.

other requirements:
35 sq.f. of pen per cow
45 sq.f. of pen per moma and calf
and some well... quite OK pasture requirements.. about 1.25-1.5 acres of pasture per cow/calf

now sheep
15sq.f of pen per head
19sq.f of pen per moma and the little one.

and size of pasture... which I am still not sure I am reading right...
25sq.f of run per head
5sq.f of run for the little ones.

is that ridiculous or what?

I,ll ad more later, but now I got to run pick my little brother up.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Good pics!

In Missouri we have wild boar which is a big problem with farmers. If you are a licensed hunter and you see a wild boar you are obliged to shoot it and then report the shooting. Some people shoot them for the pot. Others just let them drop. They are VERY boney with little decent meat I am told, but if it was me I would sure at least try to eat one. :)

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a question about foreclosure estate, how do you see buying one over the puddle? :) In Poland when you buy a foreclosure house/apartment. You're evil, pure evil, or maybe even the SATAN himself... they look at you as if you threw out the people yourself. My friend bought a a apartment after foreclosure, it was in a TERRIBLE state and I mean ... wow who lived in there? After some time, someone scraped a swore word with a car key on his car-hood, is it the same in U.S or do people accept the fact, and move on?

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rty007 said:
I have a question about foreclosure estate, how do you see buying one over the puddle? :) In Poland when you buy a foreclosure house/apartment. You're evil, pure evil, or maybe even the SATAN himself... they look at you as if you threw out the people yourself. My friend bought a a apartment after foreclosure, it was in a TERRIBLE state and I mean ... wow who lived in there? After some time, someone scraped a swore word with a car key on his car-hood, is it the same in U.S or do people accept the fact, and move on?
People are definitely more accepting of foreclosures here, especially right now. Entrepreneurship is encouraged, and real estate is a form of this. With the market right now, it's a great time to buy foreclosed properties. Some damage may have been done by the original owner when moving out, but it is still a totally acceptable form of investment or ownership. Mind you, this is my interpretation of things.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
The person who lost the place is not thrilled about it, but nobody seems to blame a new buyer- as long as the old owner was out before the offer was made.

If the place is still being lived in- then it's harder to say.
Some owners would rather find a buyer quickly before they are forced out, in hopes of getting out of debt.
Others will hold on till moving day and may have more resentment.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've actually bought foreclosed homes before, and my mother-in-law specialized in selling them through her her real estate office for years. Sometimes people will destroy things in the houses as a way of "getting back" at the bank, but they usually don't associate it with the buyer. The banks usually evict the previous owner and the houses are empty for several months before the new buyers move in. I think the main difference in how it is treated is that Americans are by and large a transient people. We get up and move every 4-6 years anyway. We don't have a long history with our neighbors, and often don't even know them. We don't feel an emotional attachment to our homes and our communities. So we just pick up and move on. The neighbors don't share in our misery because they aren't even aware of it. It's just another empty house on the street, and they are gratefull when someone finally moves in and starts watering the lawn. After all, they are way more concerned about their property values than about your percieved injustice. So, usually, when you buy a foreclosed home, you are welcomed with opened arms. And sometimes a lot of walls to patch.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Plus I will add to this it takes some time in the US.

Usually the Bank or Mortgage company will hold a house for a year or MORE before all of the paperwork is complete on a home and it is ready to sell. Plus it may have taken another year to actually evict the last owner!! By the time the home goes back on the market people are just sick of it sitting empty.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We get up and move every 4-6 years anyway.
I think that is the case. In Poland, people tend to have a problem with moving to another town, after work. And we build brick houses that are built for generations, however we tend to lean to your wood-frame(I am sure there is some fancy name for that) building technology. And again In Poland, being a farmer is a inherited occupation. someone's father was a farmer, so he inherits his fathers land and it proceeds to his son. What is more, I already told you, that I am looked at like a 3headed alien on a flying broom by my family, whenever I decide to mention my will, and need to own a land and become SS, couse we are well... wealthy. The pure mention of buying a lamb on the hoof, and of it went... "ummm... but how long can you keep it in the freezer, it is a lot of work, jada jada jada..." alright, nevermind, didn't say a word. But I am gonna buy one soon anyways :) My father... well he isn't teaming with joy and happiness, but he can accept that, whereas my mother on pure mention of me becoming SS and living mostly if not entirely of the land goes... well crazy to say the least. You know what the funny thing is? That we have so many friends, in different branches, and I can just SEE all the possibilities, like today my mother is a very successful computer programmer, being a IT manager of a company that employs something around a thousand people nationwide. I had some things to deal with, so my father drove me to town, but we drove by my mothers work, to give her something she needed. And I saw like a heap of pallets... and I mean .. WOW it was HUGE they were clearly not usable. but I just saw, all the raised beds, coops... boy there was enough. The heap was 9 feet tall and at least 40feet in diameter. why cant I just evict myself of this place I am stuck in.