rty007 winemaking Q

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:lol:

rty007 you are truly one of US! :gig We come from all income levels and all living situations, but we all hear that little voice inside when we see a pile of discarded pallets!! Others think we are all nuts too. It is probably an accurate statement ... but we are mostly a happy bunch as well! :p

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I personally think it is something that we are born with. I was 10 and bought my own chickens and when I was 12 my dad bought me a donkey(he was too cheap for a horse!) that I broke to ride and pull all by myself. Needless to say all the other 12 year-old thought I was totally nuts. They were into nintendo, sega, etc. and I was trying to plant a garden. Fortunately my parents encouraged it.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
You have some family that farms. They could talk to your parents about it. The need to have some dirt under your fingernails can run in families, but not always in a straight line through the generations.
My Grandparents generation had a bunch of farmers and then it skipped a generation or two. I want to do it, but my Husband has gotten used to city life and is dragging his heels. We don't have the $ to buy a farm either. I might try to lease some land first, so I cam start before I become on old lady..

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I personally think it is something that we are born with. I was 10 and bought my own chickens and when I was 12 my dad bought me a donkey(he was too cheap for a horse!) that I broke to ride and pull all by myself. Needless to say all the other 12 year-old thought I was totally nuts. They were into nintendo, sega, etc. and I was trying to plant a garden. Fortunately my parents encouraged it.
I think you may be right :lol:

I insisted on planting flower seeds in my friend's new sandbox when we were 7 and then I wouldn't let her play in it, so the flowers would grow :lol:
Her father eventually built me (us) a garden in their backyard. My family lived in an apartment, so all my father could do, was to build me a flower box for our balcony.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ehh dragon that is not a dang option, again when my father would be able to accept that, and would be willing to talk to, my mother just goes nuts on a pure mention. Her big argument is, that I have NO idea about running a farm, even though I made some research, I am sure that is true, but that is life, we live, we learn. Besides from what I could tell, a good bunch of you also had no idea how to incubate chickens, raise rabbits, etc, etc. YET you lived and you now know.

A funny thing is, that when I sometimes am dragged by them to one of those official, fancy and all parties and I have to force myself into a ice white shirt(which I don't mind very much) and a suit, and a TIE (omfg, that should be nouth said. And start lecturing someone about "real-food" "MMR(the second life of scrap meat)" and all that, my mother usually stops me as soon as she finds out and then I get a lecture, about nagging people. Even though some people are listening with their breath on hold.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Denise- Some people know they have to plant something or go nuts. That was sweet that he gave you a garden spot.

Rebecca- You were lucky to have the family be supportive of what you wanted to do. Their own donkey isn't every little girls dream, but you did great with it.

Rty007- Sometimes you have to start doing what makes you happy and they adjust to it later. If her main objection is that you haven't been trained for that - yet- are there any courses/training programs you could take to reassure her? A little extra knowledge wont hurt and might keep the peace.
Or, maybe you could apprentice with one of the other farmers in the family for a while " to gain experience" before you bought your land. You could still do things your way on your farm when you get it.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rty007 you are truly one of US! gig We come from all income levels and all living situations, but we all hear that little voice inside when we see a pile of discarded pallets!!
That really is not the only thing ;) In Poland we have loads of those 10-storey apartment buildings, so when they change windows in those, which often is a community action to make it cheaper, there are like, thousands of windows and a light goes: DING :frow greenhouse. But there there are LOADS of things, I am not gonna lecture you about that:)

Others think we are all nuts too. It is probably an accurate statement ... but we are mostly a happy bunch as well! tongue
I have never, ever hidden the fact that I am a F.... freak :p

@dragnlaurel
that is the plan, I am going to work for a friend of a family on a farm with goats, and what they claim to be organic veggies. Then I am going to work my ass of picking grapes at my uncles vineyard.
Besides I decided to write a summary of how would conduct my farm, since it would be required of me anyway by the EU to get donations, So it will be a work done for the future, and it might just show my beloved mother, that I do have a idea of what I am talking about...
And I am gonna do what makes me happy, when the snow FINALLY melts!! need some? I can overnight it :p I have my G-Gardening backpack packed with seeds and all that, and ready to go.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
And I am gonna do what makes me happy, when the snow FINALLY melts!! need some? I can overnight it
No thanks! Maybe next year :gig

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You might also point out to your mother, that at your age, just about anything you do is new and you don't have much experience. Would she argue with you, if you wanted to be a doctor or lawyer? You would need to prepare for that, as you are preparing to have your own farm. It is not like you can go and open an office and be a doctor. And you are not buying the land right now and farming. You are educating yourself about farming and living self sufficiently. It sounds to me, that you are doing a lot of research. You are being very sensible about it. You are on this forum asking questions and reading our posts and learning from our experiences.
Your mother probably doesn't think being a farmer is as prestigious or secure as being a lawyer or doctor or whatever else she has in mind for you.
You might ask her, how she came to be a computer programmer. Is it something she loves to do? I am sure her mother wasn't a computer programmer. Maybe, if you can get her thinking about that, she can understand you enthusiasm for something you really want to do. Even though it is not something she values or understands.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
No thanks, about the snow. We already had more than our usual amount this year. I almost did the guerrilla gardening before.

You'll be making good progress with those jobs. Show somebody that's used to farming first to see if they have any suggestions. Then you can tell her that ______ (farmer) said is looks like a workable plan. Might help her relax a bit.