Seed grown fruit trees

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I seen a big billy in with a herd of cattle, and in nothing but a 5 strand barbwire fence. I stopped, watched and scratched my head, thought to myself... anything is possible.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have 4 or 5 peach seedlings that have sprouted. I sowed them late last fall in a kiddie pool. The pits came from O’Henry peaches. Which is bonanza peach, possibly crossed with an unknown nectarine. O'Henry was released to commercial growers in 1968. I really liked the unique mild flavor of O'Henry peaches. But I don't expect an O'Henry peach to be produced from the pits. I am however interesting to see what peach the new trees will produce, after several years.

4 seedlings have survived, had zero issues with diseases or pests, that is really encouraging. However like my other peach trees they need frequent watering. The seedlings aren't no more than 2 foot tall. Which is pretty tiny even for a newly sprouted peach. I'm pretty sure they have reverted back to a bonanza peach which is what I was hoping for. Bonanza is a natural dwarf also known as a patio peach. I think I can find some places to tuck these little dwarfs in and see what becomes of them.

RoseTeas

Power Conserver
Reaction score
4 seedlings have survived, had zero issues with diseases or pests, that is really encouraging. However like my other peach trees they need frequent watering. The seedlings aren't no more than 2 foot tall. Which is pretty tiny even for a newly sprouted peach. I'm pretty sure they have reverted back to a bonanza peach which is what I was hoping for. Bonanza is a natural dwarf also known as a patio peach. I think I can find some places to tuck these little dwarfs in and see what becomes of them.

Is there anyway to safely 'mail' some of those peach seeds?

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My seedling peaches have survived 2 summers with minimal watering--I think I watered once in August. Yes they are small, but I have no problem with that. I am actually trying to encourage a bush form. I think bushes will do better with our high winds.

I planted a bunch of different varieties, inside, shelled, and planted them out after the last frost. Five survived. Three are thriving. Two struggle with the heat and drought, but have survived this long. If they survive this winter I may consider moving those two to another area, or once I evaluate the fruit I may give them away as bare root trees.

RoseTeas

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My seedling peaches have survived 2 summers with minimal watering--I think I watered once in August. Yes they are small, but I have no problem with that. I am actually trying to encourage a bush form. I think bushes will do better with our high winds.

I planted a bunch of different varieties, inside, shelled, and planted them out after the last frost. Five survived. Three are thriving. Two struggle with the heat and drought, but have survived this long. If they survive this winter I may consider moving those two to another area, or once I evaluate the fruit I may give them away as bare root trees.
Thank you. Learning ang trying to duplicate your way of planting!