The FDA May Change HFCS Name to Corn Sugar

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Andy J said:
Some of you people need to wake up.The FDA wouldn't allow something that would hurt the taxpayers,with the exception of tobacco
Thank you for the moment of humor :p

It *is* humor, isn't it?

Or are you unaware of how lobbying and campaign fundraising works?

Also it is demonstrably untrue.

I don't think government is evil and am totally not a conspiracy person, but c'mon, let's be grownups about how the world works! :p

Pat

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
So when the name gets changed to corn sugar and people say the same things about it as they did HFCS, what's the NEW new name going to be?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Andy J said:
Some of you people need to wake up.The FDA wouldn't allow something that would hurt the taxpayers,with the exception of tobacco
Thank you for the moment of humor :p

It *is* humor, isn't it?

Or are you unaware of how lobbying and campaign fundraising works?

Also it is demonstrably untrue.

I don't think government is evil and am totally not a conspiracy person, but c'mon, let's be grownups about how the world works! :p

Pat
Thank you!!!! All I could do was :th. Seems it is still all I can do.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last night I had the good fortune to hear two lectures by a gent named Joel Salatin on the subject of sustainable farming and food.
I bought two of his books which folks here might enjoy. One was called "Everything I want to do is illegal" and the other is "The sheer ecstasy of being a lunatic farmer".
He is all about sustainable farming methods and is quite an entertaining as well as informative speaker. Since we are talking about the cost of food and how it is going to change, I think his information is timely and valuable.

We who debate here in good faith keep a pleasant countenance and work together will always end up helping each other in the "great struggle". We don't always have to agree but we would be greatly served by remembering at the end of the day, as old Red Green says "We're all in this together!"

Best to all
//BT//
Trim sends

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Andy J said:
Some of you people need to wake up.The FDA wouldn't allow something that would hurt the taxpayers,with the exception of tobacco,which I will elaborate on shortly.The government wants you out there every day,working and paying taxes.Uncle Sam needs that tax money to "spread the wealth."

As for tobacco,the tax revenue from it outweighs the health risks.Most people suffering from tobacco related illness are elderly and usually retired,therefore not contributing to the tax base any longer.
That's just how it is.
Did anyone report the fact that Santa Claus "FAILED" his flight physical but the Sleigh was, despite all reports to the contrary, found to be airworthy?
I don't know. Maybe all that "change" we were promised by the POTUS is going to "put a chicken in every pot" or was that "pot in every chicken"?

I sure am glad someone here has a firm, founded and well intentioned belief that everyone currently in the offices of our government is only looking out for "our best interests" to the exclusion of ANYTHING that might be detrimental or harmful for us as a nation rather than the benefit of "their party".

Of course, spending more money than most of us could count on a computer doesn't mean much, and putting our great grandchildren in such deep debt that were it not for the abolition of debtor's prisons they would all become slaves of some foreign power. But then "...Brutus IS an honorable man."

Now, let me see if I can find my check book so I can send a nice big thankyou check to the POTUS for taking such good care of me. :bow

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no that wasn't what I was saying at all. moderation for most things in life is a good rule.

I am saying some can tolerate different foods and chemicals etc and some can not. Again, each person is an individual. Just because one person can not handle XX in their life, does not mean it can not be handled by others.

It is way more than just "my family is fine"

you are saying just because someone in "your family is affected" by one product, then it must be totally bad. I just countered by the opposite.

My Mom can outrun me at my age. And Dad too.

moderation of processed foods is obviously needed. but I sure don't believe that hfcs is poison on the level some think.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
no that wasn't what I was saying at all. moderation for most things in life is a good rule.

I am saying some can tolerate different foods and chemicals etc and some can not. Again, each person is an individual. Just because one person can not handle XX in their life, does not mean it can not be handled by others.

It is way more than just "my family is fine"

you are saying just because someone in "your family is affected" by one product, then it must be totally bad. I just countered by the opposite.

My Mom can outrun me at my age. And Dad too.

moderation of processed foods is obviously needed. but I sure don't believe that hfcs is poison on the level some think.
All I'm sayin is, again, you back this up with NO solid concrete evidence, other than your family. Whereas, Wifezilla and the like, have provided more than enough proof to prove that what my family has experienced, is true. Yours does not have any credibility. That's all I'm saying. And until you start backing up your moderation claims with solid science, they will continue to not have any credibility.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This discussion reminds me of good old George Burns. He drank and smoked every day and lived a very active life. He finally died at 100.

"I smoke 10 to 15 cigars a day, at my age I have to hold on to something." - George Burns

George Burns, at 100+, who famously smoked fat cigars every waking moment, and quaffed a MINIMUM of four strong Gin Martinis per day, was asked one day by a journalist : "What does your doctor think of your smoking and drinking habits?"

His reply? = "I don't know, he died 20 years ago!"

Now, obviously smoking didn't do much damage to the man. Does that mean everyone should smoke? That smoking in moderation isn't harmful? What about my family friend Phil, who also smoked and drank every day and died at 53 from emphysema?

How about smoking is inherently damaging, it is just that genetically, some are more able to deal with the damage smoking causes while others are not?

It's the same with high fructose corn syrup. It does do damage to everyone. If you are genetically blessed, your body can shake off the damage. That does not mean high fructose corn syrup is good for you.