the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
made progress today at last. :) still a lot to do but at least i can see a difference.

also one of the young groundhogs was dumb enough to come back and the air rifle did what it was supposed to do. :( sad to do, but necessary if i'm going to get any chance at a harvest.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like to respect wildlife -- in their own habitat. But when they enter mine and cause destruction there is no remorse to eliminate. Like @farmerjan has said, around barns & livestock, it's invasive. Since you aren't dealing with that, you can be more forgiving 😍. Glad for you.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
made some more progress and then it started raining and i'd had enough anyways. it rained well enough last night to show me my new water flow set up was not quite right yet, but i never expected it to be done on the first try anyways. more reshaping and dirt moving needed and then transplanting more creeping thyme to cover that edge. it ends up being a lot easier to weed that than to have to weed the bare ground (with gravel in it that eventually i pick out). the black plastic edging is useless and always coming back out no matter how i put it down or how deep. when the thyme gets bigger it will allowed to take over and i'll maybe even take the plastic edge out... we'll see how it goes... i like how it looks as it creeps into the gravel.

the last nesting killdeer decided to put her two eggs in a nest right along the edge of the driveway. i was surprised by this one as it is pretty late to be nesting now, but also the water flows through that area can be significant when it rains. silly birdie... i enjoyed eating my brunch and watching the goldfinches raid the phlox seeds.