Today is the last day of school here

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
My house is on a main street. Actually, on the corner of two main streets. West of me there are three elementary schools, a middle school and a high school. All of them end today. And as I sit at my computer I can see the cars going by, and as the cars go by, every so often there is a limosine. Just now, one with six doors on each side came past, with party lights blazing, music blaring, and teenagers hanging out of three sunroofs.

Who paid for that? The parents, of course. What message does it send? How about "You will be popular, even if we have to go into debt to assure it."

I graduated high school in 1969. After the ceremony, our family and our family friends gathered at my house for punch and petit fors. Period. Did I hate it? Of course. But it was the "proper" thing to do.

Spending $500 an hour for a 30 person stretch limo to drive your kid and his/her friends around town making noise. Not so much.

/rant

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You got punch and petit fors? I got a pat on the back and a ride home. ;)

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did nothing for my graduation, and didn't want to. I went to the "low key" school, though. There are two high schools in my hometown, one preppy, the other hippie. We always looked at the other school with disdain. Why is it so hard for them to understand that social class in high school doesn't matter. I always knew that. I certainly wouldn't want my parents to waste that kind of money on me. I'd rather they save it. Maybe save it to buy property for me, that would be my dream gift!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sheesh, whatever happened to a nice lunch out with the family?

Limos! Paaaah.

Being well off is no crime, but I find ostentatious displays of wealth to be very tacky.