VickiLynn - Finding The Balance

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is the most perfect day!

It has finally warmed up and the sun is shining. Weve had over a week of cold/rain/snow. I tilled the portion of the garden that hasnt been planted yet, and between the rows of what we did plant earlier. The onions, peas and potatoes that I had put in three weeks ago are all up. Today I put in my twelve tomato plants and covered them with milk jugs.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The garden is all in! YAY!!! Now I can switch from planting mode to maintenance mode. Oh, and mulch Mulch MULCH :cool:

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is HOT here.

My oldest son, who is in the Marine Corps, is home on leave. On those rare occasions that he is home, I try to cook his favorite foods. But it's too hot to cook. Fortunately, he likes things on the grill, too.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The past couple-of years my apple trees have been producing wormy apples. Last year I tried the molasses/vinegar concoction that you hang in the tree, and I've tried the sticky traps. Both helped some, but there are still worms in the apples.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope it works!!! My chickens love to hang out under my fruit trees. Yours seem to be enjoying themselves.

gina

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know where the term "madder than a wet hen" came from, but apparently my chickens have never heard it. Those silly girls like to play out in the rain! They still like it under the apple tree. As soon as we let them out in the morning, they head for the tree.

I'm staying out of the the wet garden for now, but as soon as it dries up, the potatoes need to be hilled. I got my mystery plants mulched before the rain. A neighbor, who sells plants from her greenhouse, gave them to me because the labels fell off and she couldn't remember what they were. At this point, all I can tell is that they are members of the cabbage family.

The strawberries are starting to ripen. DS is eating every ripe berry he finds, but I think soon they will get ahead of him and I'll have some to freeze. It looks like one of the six blueberry bushes I planted last year will give me a handful of fruit this year.

I made homemade laundry soap for the first time last night. I've done two loads and so far I like it! I guess my name can be added to the list of make-your-own-laundry soap converts.
:thumbsup

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the phrase "matter than a wet hen" came from trying to break up a broody. :lol: People used to dunk their broody hens in a bucket of water to break up their broody behaviors when they didn't want them setting on eggs.

My chickens don't have the sense to come out of the rain, either.

I love the pics of your chickies under your apple tree.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My Twinkie Experience

Yesterday, I was at my sister's house (the queen of processed foods), and she had a box of Twinkies on the counter. I haven't had a Twinkie in at least ten years, but seeing that box took me back to when I would often enjoy that moist, tender cake and sweet, creamy filling. So, I ate one.

YUK :sick :sick

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Thank you for that Vicki! I have been Gluten Free for about 2 1/2 years now and occasionally I mourn the loss of Twinkies. Your description really helps me to regulate them to the distant un-educated palate.