VickiLynn - Finding The Balance

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I will do my best! We are in Alamosa right now. I have not felt well all day, however ... stupid sore throat.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohhh, I hope you feel better so you can enjoy the rest of your vacation.

I came across a few more chicks that I just could NOT resist! I bought 2 Frizzles and 4 Amaraucana's. This is reaching addiction status, and DH is my enabler.

1708_amaraucana_and_frizzle_medium.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Of all of the breeds I think Ameraucanas are my personal favorites! They really seem to be great layers and make a nice addition to the soup pot when they get old. In addition they are jus tplain old lovely to look at. :) Even the mixed "Easter Eggers" are nice birds.

As far as being sick, it is definitely the flu. :sick I went to a walk in clinic yesterday evening and they tested for strep, but it was negative. Hubby is forging on without me this morning. I am laying around in a VERY comfy bed and resting the morning away. ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry FF!! DH just got over it. Blech!!
I agree about EEs. I just love mine! They are pretty, great layers and just nice birds. They're just hatchery birds but I hope to always have some in my flock!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've started the free internet course: Preserving Food at Home, through the Univ. of Georgia.
https://spock.fcs.uga.edu/ext/food/nchfp_elc/

Each unit has a pre-test. Taking these has proven to me I don't know nearly as much as I thought I did. I'm mostly interested in learning about canning and how not to give my family botulism.

I'm on Unit 3, and they already want me to can some apples! I guess it's an opportunity to try out my new Tattler lids. I'll give it a try tomorrow (after I buy some apples). Should be interesting....

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I canned 7 pints of apples today using the Tattler lids. I've only canned one other time in my life, so I'm no expert as far as comparing the lids. I was worried about having to line-up the rubber ring with the cap, but they went together easily. The rubber rings are pretty thin, and I got two together on one jar. I noticed it as I put the metal rings over the caps, and took that one apart and re-did.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Thanks for the link about the canning course. I spent a couple hours on it so far . . . good info. I don't have a pressure cooker so it's nice that they tell water bath directions on lots of the stuff.

Those apples are making me hungry. Looks great.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Thanks for the link about the canning course. I spent a couple hours on it so far . . . good info. I don't have a pressure cooker so it's nice that they tell water bath directions on lots of the stuff.

Those apples are making me hungry. Looks great.
Glad you could use it. I don't pressure can either. Mostly I dehydrate and freeze, but I wanted to be able to can some apples and tomatoes.