What did you do in your garden today?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
An inch of rain and you're giddy and disillusioned :clap .
And just to prove how giddy :weee I am, I'm going to haul a load of barn gold up to the raised bed area. I actually bought (I know, I know) some broccoli and cabbage seedlings. They are getting serious about needing some dirt of their own.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
finished picking through all the dry beans that were ready, cleaned up the onions that Mom pulled, got them dry and in a box to be used up soon as they weren't in the best of condition but they'll do for onion soup and baked beans this week.

then i sorted bean pods and shelled some just because i was sitting there and they looked like they needed to be shelled. Yellow Eye beans are so pretty and it was nice to get the worst of them shelled right away so i didn't have to keep them in a different flat until they got shelled out. i weighed the large paper bag of YE beans to see about how much it was going to give me after they are shelled. i should get about 5lbs out of that bag, plus i have about half another bag of those ready to shell out too so not a bad harvest for the weather and critter issues. they've done pretty well for me the past three or four years without major problems and they finish up right on time (September 15th is my goal for most beans to be done and picked or close to ready). only one garden to finish up and that was planted last so no big surprise there. :)

raining now so i can putter a bit before going back to sleep. Mom was watching her shows on dvd and i fell asleep about 5 minutes after she started earlier this evening so i'm up and awake again just in time to go back to sleep.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's fall...I'm considering what will be best to prep now for spring -- 6 months out 😁

Mainly because I missed the entire 2023 garden experience.

any of your garden compost additions will go much better being added this fall instead of next spring. it gives them a chance to get digested and incorporated into the soil community. :)

at least that is what i've found, that organic methods are best thought of years before and it takes time to get things going, but once going they work just fine.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
20230926_123200.jpg