What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
other than picking a few pods i was mostly inside because of my body saying it needed a rest, and then later on it started to rain again. reading and then later i shelled some beans for a bit (bean therapy! which is kinda like garden and dirt therapy and an OCD fix too). it all worked out... no schedule involved.

now, i have found out that not having longer fingernails does make a big difference in what i am doing so i will switch to other pods for a few days and then when my fingernails grow out again i can come back to these tougher bean pods.

today i should break up some garlic bulbs and see what they look like and then pick some biggest cloves for replanting. i can send some garlic with my brother for them to use - i planted extra this year because SIL wanted some.

Lynngo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Our garden is done for the year, and we are headed into winter and snow for the next few months. Before the snow flies though, I am working in the garden beds and getting them ready for spring.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Finished the digging of the potatoes... will pick up the last of them tomorrow after the dirt is dry and I can brush it off... Then bring in and weigh each variety. I planted a whole bunch of different varieties... most all from Fedco Seeds in Maine.... @CrealCritter uses them for his root stock for grafting I think... and I was very impressed with their service and a nice personal note from the guy who is in charge of the potato division... asked me if I had time to drop him a note on my comparisons on the different varieties and all... I wound up with 22 different varieties.... I started with 2 lbs of each type; except I had 4 lbs of red Pontiac from the co-op here, and I got a "surprise pack" from Fedco with 5 different 2 lb pkgs of their choice... usually it is what they have "more left over" ... and there were 2 that I had already ordered so I had 3 kinds with 4 lbs seed potatoes... and 19 varieties of 2 lbs each. 5 kinds were fingerling potatoes, the rest were "regular" ones.

I will get them all weighed and sorted in the next few days... I ache from all the digging the last few days... with the knee replacements, I cannot kneel in the garden so have to do everything "bent over from the waist"....This was inbetween us making more hay and me being on the tractor for several hours, several days, to get it all raked for DS to bale...

Everything else is done and over, except some peppers... after that storm and hail a couple weeks ago, it demolished the tomatoes and squash and cucumber plants. I salvaged some tomatoes and just picked the last few but they had spots from the hail. The yellow pear ones survived the best. Chickens have been let into the garden and they have been feasting on the tomatoes left and scratching in the rows I have been digging potatoes.

Weather is turning chilly here, cold front pushing through after .4 inches of rain... we are still pretty dry and still in moderate drought conditions according to the drought monitor. We will get down in the low 40's tonight and windy, cool tomorrow then moderating back into the low 50's to low 70's...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finished the digging of the potatoes... will pick up the last of them tomorrow after the dirt is dry and I can brush it off... Then bring in and weigh each variety. I planted a whole bunch of different varieties... most all from Fedco Seeds in Maine.... @CrealCritter uses them for his root stock for grafting I think... and I was very impressed with their service and a nice personal note from the guy who is in charge of the potato division... asked me if I had time to drop him a note on my comparisons on the different varieties and all... I wound up with 22 different varieties.... I started with 2 lbs of each type; except I had 4 lbs of red Pontiac from the co-op here, and I got a "surprise pack" from Fedco with 5 different 2 lb pkgs of their choice... usually it is what they have "more left over" ... and there were 2 that I had already ordered so I had 3 kinds with 4 lbs seed potatoes... and 19 varieties of 2 lbs each. 5 kinds were fingerling potatoes, the rest were "regular" ones.

I will get them all weighed and sorted in the next few days... I ache from all the digging the last few days... with the knee replacements, I cannot kneel in the garden so have to do everything "bent over from the waist"....This was inbetween us making more hay and me being on the tractor for several hours, several days, to get it all raked for DS to bale...

Everything else is done and over, except some peppers... after that storm and hail a couple weeks ago, it demolished the tomatoes and squash and cucumber plants. I salvaged some tomatoes and just picked the last few but they had spots from the hail. The yellow pear ones survived the best. Chickens have been let into the garden and they have been feasting on the tomatoes left and scratching in the rows I have been digging potatoes.

Weather is turning chilly here, cold front pushing through after .4 inches of rain... we are still pretty dry and still in moderate drought conditions according to the drought monitor. We will get down in the low 40's tonight and windy, cool tomorrow then moderating back into the low 50's to low 70's...
I've found fedco trees to be a class act, sounds like fedco seeds are the same. Glad you are happy with them.

Take time and write a review of the potatoes. I know they read their customers reviews and take notes. Customer reviews probably factor into future decisions for their divisions. I got nice hand drawn illustration for a question I asked last year. When you get one of their catalogs in the mail, they are very unique. You'll see hand drawn artwork throughout. Someone at fedco is really talented at drawing 👍 plus their catalogs are printed on unwaxed plain white paper, which I very much appricate.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i got into the garlic yesterday to see what it was like for replanting. last year the bulbs were big but the quality is horrible. so i'll replant and have enough cloves to replant but they are few and far between in terms of disease or good quality. :(

i sent some bulbs with my brother for my SIL to use but i also sent a bunch of cloves that were already broken apart and she could cut off the worst of the ends to use for cooking. probably close to a lb of garlic for her and i gave her the 2nd best stuff. the worst i'll not even feed to the worms (which is what i would normally do with any garlic trimmings because i know how much they seem to enjoy it) and instead put it out on the weed pile.

the best stuff is for replanting. i hope i'll be able to get that done this week. :)

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've abandoned my garden. It was so hard to keep it watered this summer and I got depressed and disgusted with it all. The peppers and egg plants took too long to mature, and now they are bitter. I'll start the seeds earlier this coming winter.

Found three HUGE zuc's in there, and then diced them up (after deseeding) for the Excalibur dehydrator.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love garlic but never grown.:oops:. I'd like a bed of it! May do a few in a container this fall -- if it goes well, increase next yr.

i don't recommend growing bulbs in containers unless the container is fairly large. the temperature difference can throw the bulb off and also more even moisture is harder to control in containers.

if you already know where you might grow it i would just plant it there this fall and see how it does. :)

keep it weeded and regularly watered. full sun is best.