What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug I am impressed with your bounty!

15 beefsteak type plants can provide a lot of tomatoes (an average year is 20-30lbs per plant). give them full sun, a gallon of worm castings and keep them regularly watered and you'll be set. even with almost no leaves on the plants for the past several weeks we've still got a bucket of green tomatoes we just picked. the other four buckets look to be ok for ripeness but i can't vouch for flavor until we start processing them and i sample them. i do hope they're worth it since i'd hate to have to bury them.

I am also impressed that my 2 cucumber vines keep slowly but steadily producing, even with the cool cloudy weather.

I picked another 2 off yesterday.

Tomatoes are only green here, lots of tomato flowers, lots of tiny ones growing... nothing even thinking of being red.

we've had a lot of fruits on the plants since they started flowering. i actually would have been ok not doing this last round of picking.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had a wind and rain and HAIL storm last Friday night... downed trees and tore some stuff up. Shredded the green house shelter that had some tears... cover was to be replaced this fall... but this really hurried it along....
Knocked the tall sunflowers over at the ground... broke the stems... shredded the tomato leaves and the butternut squash vines and melons vines were demolished. Tomatoes have marks where they were hit by the hail... many on the ground. I came down with a humdinger of a bug.... chills/fever and now just a scratchy throat and feeling yucky...nose running like a faucet...so didn't even try to do anything until yesterday.... have got to go out and get more picked up.
Was planning to take the walk behind weed eater out and chop down all the tall stuff inbetween the potato rows so that I can dig easier... will just do the whole garden now, except for the tomato vines on the cattle panels.... then I can start digging potatoes and get them weighed for yield comparisons.... and then hopefully get them bagged so I can sell some at the farmers market... the novelty of the different varieties...
Temps have cooled down some today, partly cloudy, possible rain later and tomorrow.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
as it turned out the bucket of tomatoes that i thought were green were really rejects that Mom picked thinking i would go through them and get something from them.

which i didn't know until after i was done and everything was in the jars and 24 quarts were in the oven to seal up. oops... :) so... there's a good chance that i'll just talk myself into burying them tomorrow with the rest of the tomato scraps...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we actually did something with those this morning so Mom can use them right away in some cooking. so they were not all wasted.

today i will have a chance finally to go out and see what might be pickable in the bean patches for dry beans. not sure how wet things may still be but give them all another hour or two and then start spot checking. it's been busy here and also raining enough that i don't really know the status of any of these gardens now until i get out there and start looking. so it may be a busy day or not outside picking and if i can't pick outside i can do some shelling and sorting inside. one thing i do love about bean shelling season is that there's always something to do if i want to get at it. :) tactile and visual feedback OCD binge!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pulled most of my bean plants except the ones I'm doing seed production and saving for, on TEG. Peppers are finally coming in.

I don't think I'll grow artichokes again. I never got a crop worth eating, altho they are gorgeous and the flowers are beautiful in my living room. I could use the bed for something else.

I really need to write down what bed had what, cus my memory isn't as good as it was.