What did you do in your garden today?

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, if the greens mature in size, you can always take them inside to finish ripening. Brown bag or add a couple apples to the pile 🤣. Don't give up!

I didn't plant a garden this year😵‍💫 Won't happen that way 2024😊 planting lots!!!
Do you grow in the house or a greenhouse? Or only outside garden?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
picked four buckets of tomatoes this morning so those will keep us busy this evening and tomorrow evening. also picked four flats of dry beans this morning but it got too hot and humid for me to keep going. hope the rains hold off until tomorrow afternoon.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
do you think that if you had a block of ice that you could wrap it in a towel and put it on top of your head to keep cool for long enough to get things done outside? would you fall over when picking dry beans?

maybe make a mould the shape of your head to freeze chunks of ice that would fit? add some wiggle room for ears and towel... hmm... must have wiggle room for ears...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
got up and had a quick breakfast and was checking the weather and pulled up TEG to see what was up... saw rain heading our ways so shut down everything and got out to pick dry beans right away. three and a half hours later the rains arrived and we called it quits. i should have spent the last hour pulling plants and bagging them to get the pods off later but i didn't think of that until i came inside. it's ok, we got a lot picked between the two of us. somewhere between 8-10 box flats from several bean gardens that were ready enough to pick through. now i have to go through and sort those pods out (some are not quite ready yet so they'll be dried down in separate box flats of their own).

even with critters chewing on those gardens this season and the long hot dry spell we had i'm pretty happy with what i'm seeing so far. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and then the sun came out and there was a nice breeze so i went out and picked more dry bean pods and finished up that patch because there were more forecasts for rain this evening and again tomorrow. so that got done. :)

and yes it did rain again a while ago.

i'll sleep good tonight...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mom picked some tomatoes yesterday as i was out there getting the sweet onions picked and cleaned up so they could be brought in for storing until we can eat them (i ate one with my tomato and bacon bowl as it needed to be used right away).

i didn't know until talking with her this morning that she didn't bring in the buckets so i went out and grabbed them. i didn't notice (it's morning...) that the two buckets were holding up the third so it spilled all over the sandy surface of the tomato garden. they were all clean in the bucket, but now they're all sandy... oops... i'll have to rinse them off again anyways before we process them. just one of those things that makes me laugh... mornin'! :)

Mom wanted to go out and pick some more tomatoes and said she'd use the wheelbarrow but it is easier for me to just carry them (as long as i don't dump them over again :) :) :) )... incoming rain perhaps in a bit.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
5 buckets in the garage now, three melons already cut up and rinds buried, dishes done, Mom has a friend coming for playing cards today and it is sprinkling out, i have beans i can shell out, a nap somewhere is likely, paperwork can go hang itself for all i care, it's been there 15 years in some cases so it can wait a bit longer...

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@flowerbug I am impressed with your bounty!

I am also impressed that my 2 cucumber vines keep slowly but steadily producing, even with the cool cloudy weather.

I picked another 2 off yesterday.

Tomatoes are only green here, lots of tomato flowers, lots of tiny ones growing... nothing even thinking of being red.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just because I have these bushes all over the farm & it makes good bug deterrent....beauty berry. It used to be what southern farmers used for their plow horses & selves. Enjoy.