What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it's been raining too much here for me to get much done out there. i did get some things buried so it does look a bit nicer but there are a lot of weeds i need to get scraped and buried but the ground is way too wet for that.

if the weather gives me enough of a break i can always weed pathways. i did a few hours of that the other day.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i can always weed pathways.
Oh man, I wish that's all I had to weed.

I did weed whack yesterday so hope to get some cardboard down to suppress the weeds. I need to continue cleaning out the weeds from the cinderblocks so I can get more onions (and maybe a carrot or two?) planted in them.

Also need to clean out some of the old grow tubs that are breaking up and put their dirt into some new raised beds. I bought two pre-fab beds earlier this year but haven't even taken them out of the box yet. Hope to get those assembled and in production soon!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How did your grow tubs work out for you? Lasted roughly how long? I've considered buying a couple as I like that I could move them around -- well, me and the tractor 😁 if I needed to. Need to rework my cold frame....even expand it. I have some good scrap wood.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
These tubs started life as big cattle mineral tubs. They did great for years. These are at least 8 - 10 years old. Sitting out in the sun they do get brittle and that's what's happening now. Since I have some new raised beds I don't think I'll miss the tubs. I wouldn't hesitate however to use more if needed. Potatoes grow very well in them.

They were advertised for $7 apiece but I actually got 15 of them for $100.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was thinking fabric ones🤔
Nope, just plain old plastic tubs. Some of them are still holding up - but some of them are basically disintegrating if I barely touch them.

Got more stuff cleaned up today. I've been putting dirt/compost/potting mix in the holes of the cinder blocks. I've got one bed almost finished and ready for onions. Decided that I could probably try carrots and maybe carrots in some of the holes also. But, for now, onions(!) because who ever has enough?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh man, I wish that's all I had to weed.

me too! it was all i could do, the rest of the gardens are all too muddy to weed. almost all of them need work to get put up for winter or they will be there in the spring needing even more work... it's ok, it gets done either way.

I did weed whack yesterday so hope to get some cardboard down to suppress the weeds. I need to continue cleaning out the weeds from the cinderblocks so I can get more onions (and maybe a carrot or two?) planted in them.

mmM onions! :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got two raised beds cleaned out today and weed-whacked around the outside. I turned over the dirt a little so I had better access to the wayward roots. Added some more dirt from some of the grow tubs that I'm retiring. Hope to get something - anything(!) planted soon. One bed will definitely be for carrots. I've gotta get busy or I'll end up with no fall/winter garden to go along with no spring/summer garden this year.