What SS Mistakes Have You Made?

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm echoing here....long driveway. We have a long community driveway and a rather longish private drive. We had to build our own grader because no one here already owned one and the cost of hiring out was extreme. Also, the cost to gravel the community drive was really outside our budget, especially since we have a neightbor living on fixed income and can't or won't contribute.

Also, having the garden to big and not doing raised beds, AND being to afraid to mess up and put things out to early-so I messed up and put the plants out to late.

Lessons learned

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Buying this property. But in my defense I didn't know we were headed into SS at the time. Then the market tanked so we are stuck until miracles happen. Hey, we could always get bought out by the development that wants to build right up to our property line :fl

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Let me think..SS mistakes. Well...
Building the garden in a low spot...
Too long a drive....
not checking how darned high the water table is here, before we bought!!! ( I need to learn to grow rice) :lol:
Oh, and putting the pantry at the bottom of the stairs...seemed like a great idea at first...then after we built it....realised...we face the west, the sun beams in the front door...right on the pantry...which is NOW a bunch of shelves full of kitchen appliances that I dont want on the counter.
Takeing on too many projects at once.
Garden, chickens,turkeys,ducks,fruits trees, sheep and pigs.....whew! All in ONE summer! This year...goats. THATS IT! LOL I refuse to add another animal....i think..unless I can find a small cow, cheap! LOL :hide

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
only mistake (and I make this all the time) is too many projects at one time

other than that most things are what level of hard work I want to handle.....that puts the stop on some SS things

working farms like mine tie ya down, and now I want to travel so downgrading is happening to gain back time.....time....time....free time. Oh how I miss that lol

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mistakes were to live in a city and build an addition so we can't move, also canned fruit doesn't last long ehough should have canned more;)

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
My most recent mistake was to have been too trusting. Someone on a forum I read offered to sell me a goat. A purebred triple registered Nigerian Dwarf...... it should have been a great deal.

Except when I got there they rushed and pressured me, and I didn't get as good a look at it as I should have before I plunked down my cash.

I got home to find out she (the goat) has 3 teats, which not only means I can't milk her, but I can't responsibly sell her kids. Plus, she was sick ( $$$ for vet bills) and is a wild little thing. The breeder won't return or exchange her. Now I'm stuck with a very expensive pet. And an expensive lesson learned. Buyer beware!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh Ice...I am so sorry that happened to you. I cant believe how some people think its OK to rip off someone else of thier hard earned money!!! BOO HISS to them!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Letting my husband talk me in to selling our rental property. The income would have been very helpful over the years, and since it was next door to the house, I could have taken a chunk of the back yard for more garden.

Letting hubby talk me in to rushing through remodeling projects just to get them done. We now have to redo everything 6 years later.

Not buying a small animal traps years ago. I rehomed many squirrels last year and I was finally able to harvest some of my produce :D

Letting hubby decide where to plant the apple trees. Now I have to move a sidewalk!!!!

Yes, hubby is my biggest problem. Good thing he is cute.
(But I did stop listening to him. It was either that or shoot him.)