Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
26751351987280905706165.jpg

See why he is still alive :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, I think one of our first mistakes was not starting down this path when we had money lucratively flowing through our fingers. That money could have been put to better uses like buying things that would enable us to live more self reliantly.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oooh, wifezilla, he IS cute.

The SS mistake I am NOT making today is that I'm not having the Lombardy Poplars that are currently being cut down free of charge removed from the property. It's crappy wood, but it will burn, and it's free, free, free! And all those long, twiggy branches will be of great use in the garden and for making trellises.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Well, I think one of our first mistakes was not starting down this path when we had money lucratively flowing through our fingers. That money could have been put to better uses like buying things that would enable us to live more self reliantly.
Isn't it funny how much $$$ it takes to be self-sufficent??? :hu

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Not getting a truck when we had the chance to.

Not getting a trailer when we got the suv.

Not getting started sooner.

Coop is too small.

Planting too much of one thing (I had enough cilantro and basil for the whole neighborhood last year)

Property too little.

Luckily we are getting a chance to start over again and do it right. Barn is going to be close (but not too close) to the house, chickens will have a BIG enclosed run so they will not poop all over my porch, ducks will have a much bigger run and proper pond, raised beds for the garden, solar electric fence, water and electricity in the barn, proper storage, rain barrels, we have pasture, we can plant our own trees, better rabbit hutches (I have to get inside the current one to clean it....that's a good show for the neighbors), not going overboard with stuff. We have thinned out a lot of the stuff in our house and we are much better for it.

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great question; thoughtful answers.

1. Not starting soon enough (thinking we had to have a place in the country. Would be nice, but may not happen and we're not getting younger)

2. Underestimating the time a project or task is going to take- I try to always double what I think.

3. Getting behind on regular household tasks like laundry and dishes while working on a project. I hate having to excavate the house afterwards and I'm usually tired, when I really want to enjoy the project. I almost always do certain household chores (like laundry) before I even get started on any project for the day.

4. Getting discouraged- some SS projects take $$; I need to keep at all the little things that save/make money, and keep thinking and planning (so don't make mistakes:) as we save). Being forced to go a bit slower probably saves us $ in the long run- have more time to come across bargains/free things that fit in with the projects.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
Isn't it funny how much $$$ it takes to be self-sufficent??? :hu
Usually it costs more to become ss in the beginning. Say a hand pump for you well, solar panels, a chicken coop, good stock etc. Over time it pays for itself and then some.

I'm adding to my list...

Trying to do it all at once! I ran into that last year and became quickly overwhelmed. Now I try to plan projects by the year. I say "next year" a lot!

"Next year I will get bees, I want them NOW, but I know from past experience I will be too busy with what I already have going on."

Another mistake is not adding up the things I already do to be SS and giving myself credit for it. Satisfaction in what I've already accomplished, though small compared to others.

I have to tell myself, "Stop comparing, it is not a race!" I'm finally getting that now.

BTW, WZ, your hubby looks like the sweetest man in the world!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
He is a big teddy bear. Goofy yet sweet...which is why I put up with him for over 23 years :D Now as to why he puts up with me....NO CLUE!