What's for dinner?

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So last night’s dinner was supposed to be grilled ribeye steak, that I had thawed in the fridge. But when I took it out to season it, I discovered that I had in fact thawed a London broil! 🫢

Quick change of plans and we had baked potatoes and salad last night, and tonight will be marinated and grilled London broil. Plus I think I will make potato salad with some red potatoes I have before they get too old.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did it really get done in 20 minutes in the oven, or did it need to bake longer?
Sort of, lol. I checked with a meat thermometer in a thigh at the 20 minute mark. I think chicken is supposed to be 165 to be fully cooked. At the 20 minute mark it was 162. I turned the oven off and left the chicken in there - checked it again about 10 minutes later when I had everything else pulled together and it was over 170! (still juicy!) Carry over cooking is real, lol. But, it also might depend on how long you brown it on the stove top first. I made sure it was really well-browned on all sides so that might have helped

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sort of, lol. I checked with a meat thermometer in a thigh at the 20 minute mark. I think chicken is supposed to be 165 to be fully cooked. At the 20 minute mark it was 162. I turned the oven off and left the chicken in there - checked it again about 10 minutes later when I had everything else pulled together and it was over 170! (still juicy!) Carry over cooking is real, lol. But, it also might depend on how long you brown it on the stove top first. I made sure it was really well-browned on all sides so that might have helped
Well I have bookmarked it, so next time I get chicken thighs on sale, we shall see how my oven handles it.
We finally picked up a cheap air fryer at costco. Tried it out for baked potatoes last night. I was very happy as it didn't heat up the house and the potatoes cooked fine.
We don’t have a dedicated air fryer, but our countertop convection oven has an air fryer button. (Actually, it has a lot of buttons and they are all pretty much the same except for temperature and time. I just hit number one every time and then adjust the temp and time to my liking. So yeah, I “air fry” everything.)

Anyway, putting ours at 425 for 50-60 minutes depending on the size of the potato makes them come out amazing. And yeah, it preheats in mere minutes and doesn’t heat up the kitchen. Love it!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I have bookmarked it, so next time I get chicken thighs on sale, we shall see how my oven handles it.

We don’t have a dedicated air fryer, but our countertop convection oven has an air fryer button. (Actually, it has a lot of buttons and they are all pretty much the same except for temperature and time. I just hit number one every time and then adjust the temp and time to my liking. So yeah, I “air fry” everything.)

Anyway, putting ours at 425 for 50-60 minutes depending on the size of the potato makes them come out amazing. And yeah, it preheats in mere minutes and doesn’t heat up the kitchen. Love it!

Size is an issue for us. Very limited counter space. I've seen a few of the convection ovens I like but don't have the room.