Campbell's ruined my soup

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Being the only one that loves split pea soup I would just buy a can for me. Well all of a sudden it is green pea soup and tastes like ****. Gone are the little pieces of ham and carrots. Help me out with a great recipe that I can process myself with my pretty new pressure canner.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
They usually sell both varieties, don't they? Is there a chance that your store is only stocking green pea now?
I looked at their discontinued site and see they recommend replacing roast pork and carrots with the split pea with ham, so it seems to be in stock. :idunno

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use this Crock-Pot recipe. It is terrific. I store it in 2-cup portions in the freezer to grab for workday lunches. Way better than Campbell's.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Split-Pea-Sausage-Soup/Detail.aspx

Slow Cooker Split Pea Sausage Soup

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Hours
Servings: 8

1 pound dried split peas
10 cups water (I use mostly chicken broth and skip the bouillon below)
1 pound smoked sausage of your choice, sliced
5 cubes chicken bouillon
1 1/2 cups chopped carrot
1 cup chopped celery
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped (why peel?)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 onion, chopped

In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the peas, water, sausage, bouillon, carrot, celery, potatoes, garlic powder, oregano, bay leaves, and onion.
Cover, and cook on High for 4 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaves before ladling into bowls.

Edited so it looks prettier. ;)

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
Being the only one that loves split pea soup I would just buy a can for me. Well all of a sudden it is green pea soup and tastes like ****. Gone are the little pieces of ham and carrots. Help me out with a great recipe that I can process myself with my pretty new pressure canner.
I don't know, if you like pea soup like I like pea soup I don't know how safe it is to can. I like mine really thick and generally they recommend not to can things that thick.....'course if you canned it in a half-pint.....just thinking out loud now. Let me see what I can find.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Split pea soup is so easy to make and freeze- why buy it? I basically use the crock pot recipe above, but with leftover ham chunks in it. Or vegetarian. That way you know what is in it, unlike Campbell's.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We prefer pea soup made from whole dried peas - I get them either at an (East) Indian market, or in the bulk bins at the health food store. Whole peas, potatoes, carrots, smoked ham hock/bacon/sausage/whatever I have on hand of that type, and a bit of curry powder - it doesn't make it curry-like, just brings out the flavors of the rest. One of the few things DH will eat for several days in a row :lol:. I freeze any leftovers.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, there are actually several sites that say you can can pea soup so I guess I'd go for it! I may try it myself if I ever start getting enough strength to cook.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I agree on the curry powder ORchick! Sometimes I put mustard in the pea soup too! Usually skip the potatos or substitute sweet potatoes. You can also make it with lentils rather than the green peas. This has got to be one of my all-time favorite meals in the whole wide world! The only way to screw it up is not enough pork IMHO. Good with cornbread... but then cornbread is my second favorite food and goes with everything!

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I put savory and thyme in mine. Though I probably shouldn't tell you. Now I have to kill you. Dang it. It's ok, I just won't tell you the rest of what I do. :p

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok now you got me going. Mustard what kind? Mild or hot curry? Threw away my 10 year old savory. I would have to can it cause when the split pea bug hits I can't wait for defrosting.I would have to cut my carrots all cute and small to fool myself and probably add some artificial flavors. I need to go get split peas.