Dehydrated zucchini chips

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have 12 zucchini plants, each seemingly containing about 10 zukes. I want to make zucchini chips with them for snacks for the grandkids. They actually love squash of all kinds and the first meal DGD10 wanted from the garden was turnips, zucchini and carrots, so I have a good chance of her liking them.

I want to lightly flavor them with garlic or oregano, etc. Any suggestions on how to do it? Just lay them out on the tray and sprinkle? Seesm to easy. Would the seasoning stick?

Advice on temperature and # of hours so I can time manage?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I washed mine, spread them out on the sheets & sprinkled them with the seasoning while they were still damp (garlic, chili powder, cumin & sea salt)
I ran them at 120 for about a day & a half (humid here, even when it's cold)

We liked them, they weren't crispy like chips, but they did crunch. I bet if I sliced them thinner they would be crispier. I sliced them between 1/8" & 1/4" thick.

Oh, and brush your trays with oil. The one tray I didn't got stuck.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just realized I forgot to plant zucchini! What was I thinking? :barnie

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thanks Noob. Will follow your example.

Jams: Head for the nursery. No one will ever know !

Or, I could send you some of mine !!!

Is 12 plants too much zucchini for one person? YA THINK???

Picture752.jpg

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I was pregnant with my youngest we were putting in our garden. I was really craving yellow squash, so what did I do? I planted the whole package! Of course by the time it was ready to harvest I was so big I could have cared less. Moral of the story - buy just two plants, it's the same price as a packet of seeds and your husband doesn't resent you or hate yellow squash.

ETA: Ldy - I just love the pics of your garden. It gives me faith that someday mine will look that good. My mom grew up on an almond orchard in the Central Valley and while I don't envy you the lingering heat of the days, I do wish I could get some of that wonderful extended growing season!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Jam you are so kind ! And how nice to know about your parents. can you give a hint about the town?

I kind of shake my head sometimes when people say how it looks, because I am a perfectionist and I know there are weeds and other things I need to do. Of course, I know that every garden represented here is completely weed-free, perfectly fenced or with perfect raised beds. Okay, some. Which makes me believe ALL !

Your comment made me think, though. Maybe someone is too scared to try a garden at all and if they see a complete newbie like me, maybe they will try !

LOVE the squash story !!!!!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Having just done this I think you will find it to be as simple as you wish to make it. I got some stuff called Morton's Hot Salt. It is delightful but when I went back to the store, the grocer in our town said they aren't making it any longer. There is another spice called French Fry seasoning and that is quite similar...just not as "hot".

I cut my zuch's into 1/2 slices and dehydrated them for 8 hours. They may have been ready sooner, but that was the extent of my time to sleep!

They came out great. Nice and crispy and flavor to beat the band.

Just sprinkle it on them on one side and turn them over if you wish...or just on one side and leave it alone. Either works well and is quite a treat.

Hope you enjoy it.
Trim