dehydrating eggs

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Eggs will keep quite well in the fridge for up to four months....I find that this keeps me through the winter and through the molting. My hens never completely stop laying, but they do slow down enough that if I don't save up enough eggs, we have to buy some....usually just one carton, though, and only if dh is impatient! :p

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can also freeze them if you need to. But only if you plan on using them to cook with. ;)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I think it would be nice to have some dehydrated eggs on hand for winter when they quit laying, or just in case.
Have you considered, though, how long and easily eggs keep in cool storage or frozen, compared to the aggravation/risk of dehydrating and the fact that you then end up with mere dehydrated egg substance, rather than actual eggs?

My father, who was in the army in WWII and has resulting STRONG opinions about a) dehydrated food and b) eggs that are not fairly fresh out of the hen, would laugh hysterically at the phrase "nice to have some dehydrated eggs" LOL

Seriously, though, think about it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I wasn't sure what a good idea it was and that is why I posted here. Dh had 10 dozen eggs given to him is why I was wondering(that and I already had the dehydrator out doing apples). The dehydrator site I posted made it sound safe, but I know eggs go bad quickly and I had heard that it wasn't safe to do at home, but I also have heard that about making mayo and etc. We decided to incubate ALL of them. That is a lot of eggs in one 'bator!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dehydrate eggs and I use dehydrated eggs near daily. I do up most with the whole egg and some I separate the yolk from the white. Most get used in cooking, baking and pasta. However, I also do some up with milk powder for my husband to take camping and for emergency supplies. Nope, they are not as good as fresh when scrambling, but he is one of those manly guys and therefore appears to have less interest in food being tasty ;) I absolutely prefer them for most baking and pasta.

As for safety... by all means, know your dehydrator. If you have a good one that will provide a consistent heat of at least 145 and you place it some where there isnt much of a draft, you should be in pretty good shape. Also, if it takes more than 12 hours to get to the brittle stage.. then don't eat it. Most of that is just not overloading a single tray on the dehydrator though. And of course, if you are just not comfortable doing it, then you likely shouldn't :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Since my ducks only stop laying for about 4-8 weeks, I have never seen the need for drying eggs. Especially after reading that MEN article.