FarmerJamie - A new beginning

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The downsizing saga continues.
I have decided to quit asking the wife and going to lead by example. Started by minimizing my clothing. Not yet throwing out or donating, but doing the "pack it up for 6 months" test. Somehow, I have 6 long sleeve carhart work shirts. Only going to keep out 2. During the COVID lockdown and shipping fiascos, I ended up with 8 pairs of new jeans.

the carhart work shirts and jeans are foreverly useful so i would just keep out a few for current efforts and then in the future you can raid the box in the attic/basement for a replacements or extras when needed.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I purged my closet when on my last job. I was purchaser for a garbage company. My office was in the back with mechanics. I knew nothing of truck parts, mechanics could show me what they wanted, which entailed going under trucks, up in engine, they even tossed me behind the packer blade in the truck body. I decided I was never going to ever take another job wearing high heels. Never. Ever.

I bagged up FIVE big garbage bags of high heel shoes. I got rid of almost all my dress clothes, keeping only a few for church.

It was wonderful.

When BJ and I moved to Lindale, I went through his closet. I made him try on clothes he had kept for many years. Like maybe 20 or more. Some pants he couldn’t even get over his leg. Really? It was painful, but I was ruthless. Shirts! OMG! Same thing. Shoes! The man could not enter a store without buying something. His closet in Lindale was 10’ long and 4” wide. Even with me dragging his prized possessions from his grasping fingers, his closet was full. I had a small section about 18” wide for my hanging clothes and 2 shelves in the narrow tower for my jeans and T-shirts. I ripped out the wire racks in his closet and built him a better one. He loved it. He gradually got more stuff, it never looked this good again! LOL

Just saying all this to let you know I feel your pain. I really do.

IMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0535.jpeg

IMG_0537.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0536.jpeg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I am just trying to lead by example. Even my downsizing is causing her to twitch. We have 5+ totes full of bedding, sheets, etc....including for bed sizes we don't have any more. That is going to be a tough conversation.

Next on my list is dress slacks. I need to decide what my weight/size is going to be. I also have a dozen shirts/sweatshirts related to my volunteer gig to downsize

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sharing instead of downsizing is easier😊
I agree, it really helps to find meaning when letting something go. If your kids don't need them, consider
  • Animal shelters always need blankets. They have to discard soiled bedding because it will contaminate the washing machines.
  • Vet clinics always need sheets to wrap up pets for their last trip home.