Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Energy independence is an issue. A wood stove would work, but the remodeling involved to get one in the house means it isn't going to happen any time soon.

As for ham radio, my knowledge on that is about zero. I guess its time to do some reading.

I am pretty good on the rest. My space available for growing is small, but I do have quite a lot. Growing amaranth, quinoa and corn even in my limited space. I have fruit trees and some very productive grape vines. My ducks also like shredded zucchini. That sure makes it easy to get rid of any excess I grow :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
well, i had a whole post, lost it because dummy me hit a button, and i have to go do a drive job in a minute, so i'll have to post it when i get back later.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Energy independence is an issue. A wood stove would work, but the remodeling involved to get one in the house means it isn't going to happen any time soon.

As for ham radio, my knowledge on that is about zero. I guess its time to do some reading.

I am pretty good on the rest. My space available for growing is small, but I do have quite a lot. Growing amaranth, quinoa and corn even in my limited space. I have fruit trees and some very productive grape vines. My ducks also like shredded zucchini. That sure makes it easy to get rid of any excess I grow :D
wow! quinoa! thats awesome!! from what i read it has most of the amino acids with other nutrition, like a very balanced ratio of nutrition to what a human needs to survive. ham radio is very hard to censor and there is infinite data streams and frequencies that would make it impossible to jam, older ham radios are resistant to EMP which can fry transistor based electronics like all of our computers. it keeps people connected when the basic infrastructure is gone.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
About half of the quinoa I planted has come up. We had some cold snaps so some may have froze. I will plant some more since i have more seed. It comes in several colors so it will look very decorative as well as provide food.

I need to plant my giant golden amaranth bed, but I have a whiskey barrel that I plantied Love-Lies-Bleeding amaranth. The squirrels have gotten in to it but some plants are still ok. Most people plant Love-Lies-bleeding because it is so pretty and have no idea it is just as edible as the other varieties. I also have Joseph's coat amaranth seeds, but I have no idea where to put it. That is another decorative amaranth, but it is better for greens than the seed heads.

I also have loads of wild lamb's quarters, which is related to both quinoa and amaranth. I am letting the wild stuff go and will feed that to the ducks too.

Another "wild craft" food I am waiting to pop up is purslane. The ducks love it. For years I dug it up! Turns out it is one of the highest plant sources of omega 3 fatty acids. Who knew?!?!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Another "wild craft" food I am waiting to pop up is purslane. The ducks love it. For years I dug it up! Turns out it is one of the highest plant sources of omega 3 fatty acids. Who knew?!?!
Great - I find this out after I spent years eliminating it from our place.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I think i love Ham radio.....:) Thanks for the interesting info GoogleNT..! I'll have to explore this Ham radio some...

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
no problem everyone heres striving for self sufficientcy and survivability, and communication opens up a whole area of sustainability giving 100s to 1000s of miles of contact. the internet is fragile especially all of our computers. on the history channel "future weapons", they said that a single nuke detonated above mid america not to kill, but to create an EMP, would wipe out all electronic systems supported by fragile computer chips and transistors. most of our technology is small and fragile to high atmospheric currents in the form of cosmic rays and man made disasters. nasa predicts large solar storms in the comming years,which are just as powerful as emp pulses thus it is important to take a few steps back into older tube technology able to handle large current changes and maintain open communication when the infrastructure fails.

ham radio is an important part of sustainability. protects people from censorship, man made disasters, and cosmic emp events from the powerful sun.
make sure to tell others its good to make a" radio internet". vacuum tube technology, though old might be the best part because of its high current carrying ability over transistors that can barely take more than 12 volts in alot of systems :D

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA said:
no problem everyone here's striving for self sufficientcy and survivability, <snip>
Where is "here"?

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
GoogleNT.....i am so onboard with what your saying...! Newer technology doesn't mean better IMO..It's ridiculus how these new cell phones keep coming out, one techy company after another outdoing each other.I agree, the whole system is so fragile.Asian hackers have already knocked out US military computers for short periods of time,there is all kinds of nonsence going on out there.It's only a matter of time before it all collaspes.Do you have any links to beginner "Ham" sites..? I'm on the internet in a very primative way, by todays standards..webtv aka msntv..It is so low tech, slow and not even a computer.But thats fine, i kinda shune technology, so it does fit me...lol I don't own a cell phone, i don't watch TV. Webtv doesn't let me access alot of online stuff, but i can still get lots of SS info and things of interest.Unlike computers, webtv doesn't crash either.Most computer users would go nuts surfing the web the way i do...lol Thier are going to be alot of lost people, when technology fails...! I would lose my internet access as well, and my landline tel.Thats why i'm gleamng all the info i can on good ole' paper and filing it away.I really want to know more about Ham radio, thanks for bringing the topic up, something new to explore,new to me anyway..!