Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If i had alot of money i'd likely stash some silver rounds.Since i don't, i'm still stocking up on canning jars, and more importantly, lots of canning lids.The rings and jars have a long lifespan if cared for, lids don't.High protein beans as well...Paper money and gold are not in my plans...

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
DS10 came across a silver mercury dime a few weeks ago. DH says it was worth about $1.50. I told DS if he wanted to sell it to let me know, I'd buy it. He made me pay $2 :/
You made out fine. At the close of the New York market today, the price of silver was $38.88 per troy ounce. That makes that dime worth about $2.67!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's good to know it's already appreciated in value. But I'm not telling DS10 that or he'd want me to pay the difference. :barnie

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
The price of gold is basically useless now. Who in their right mind would rather have gold than food? My recommendation is still to stock up on whole grains and beans and screw the gold....
Nobody would rather have gold that food. However, If you have food, and you have your band aids, bullets, etc. covered, not owning gold or silver is foolish (IMHO). There has not been a period of history during the last 2000 years when gold didn't hold a value. Sure there have been times when people were starving, and they would have traded any amount of gold for something to eat, but you can only put back so much food. Once that is done, gold and silver are a smart move.

If we were to suffer a catastrophic breakdown of society there may be a short time that gold would hold no value, but I doubt it. If you have gold, there are times when you can buy your way out of trouble. It paved the way for many Jewish families to escape Nazi Germany. You can't pay your property taxes with chickens, but you can convert gold into whatever cash is being accepted and then pay the taxes, and more states are starting to accept gold and silver.

Just my two cents.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
DS10 came across a silver mercury dime a few weeks ago. DH says it was worth about $1.50. I told DS if he wanted to sell it to let me know, I'd buy it. He made me pay $2 :/
Your mercury dime is actually worth $2.81 today.. So your still ahead on that one.. I check the values on coinflation.com

Please please market dont completely crash for a couple of years.. Im way not ready. And I can only prepare a tiny bit at a time and when it is tax season.. Have one gun and a little ammo.. But way not enough. But I could make bow and arrows I guess. Used to be good at that..

I read a few posts earlier that people are buying or bartering for running junker cars.. I think that is mostly because the good ones either broke down (like mine did) or the lost their other car by not being able to pay the loan.. I did have a 2000 SUV.. It died, now I have a 1984 Subaru GL.. She is actually in really good shape, we are just having troubles with her reving to high..

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sunny said:
old fashioned said:
Your mercury dime is actually worth $2.81 today.. So your still ahead on that one.. I check the values on coinflation.com

Please please market dont completely crash for a couple of years.. Im way not ready. And I can only prepare a tiny bit at a time and when it is tax season.. Have one gun and a little ammo.. But way not enough. But I could make bow and arrows I guess. Used to be good at that..

I read a few posts earlier that people are buying or bartering for running junker cars.. I think that is mostly because the good ones either broke down (like mine did) or the lost their other car by not being able to pay the loan.. I did have a 2000 SUV.. It died, now I have a 1984 Subaru GL.. She is actually in really good shape, we are just having troubles with her reving to high..
I live on an island so I'm sure I know why people are barterting for things here. :) People here are bartering for more dependable cars that have a lot of parts around. Volvos and Subaru outbacks. Those are what I have been trading. There are a ton of these cars around too. Personally I like 1987 volvos :) :cool:

IMHO I think the crack is coming sooner than 2 yrs. A lot sooner. We have been preping since 9/11. People thought we were nuts but Rome didn't fall over night either. I'm not saying it's going to take as long but in todays perspective I think soon.

A lot of things just isn't adding up right now and we have an election coming up too next yr. The only good think about a small crash right now is oil dropping. That means maybe cheap heating oil. MAYBE!! That will keep most sheeple happy and content for the short term. Until they figure out they can't afford everything else in there lives because of more inflation.

IMHO I think this ride is getting faster. I read James Kunstlers book The Long Emergency 5 yrs ago and just read it again last week and he is spot on and what he mentions is happening faster.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@ THEFAN

I wish the older Subarus were easy to find here. The one I ended up with, every time we go to napa to get a part. Its not the right one. Come to find out its rare for that year to not be turbo and to not have 4WD.. Right now we are on the search for a carborater.. We cant even get the rebuild kit from napa, they only have one listed in the computer. And its not the right one.. Hey you want to get my subaru running right. Oh well, at least she gets me from point A to point B.. And for it being good condition, and not alot wrong with her. She was a good $500 investment.. But I still would rather have a bit more common car. I guess the Subaru GL's are getting hard to find..

ETA.. Around here it is the older civics that are easy to find. And alot of them are found in junk yards also when young people run them into the ground. So lots of used parts..

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you would have $49.00 today!

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in AIG one year ago, you would have $33.00 today.

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers one year ago, you would have $0.00 today.

But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the aluminum cans for the recycling refund,

you would have received $214.00

Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily & recycle.

It is called the 401-Keg plan.

And as a bonus...

A recent study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found that on average Americans drink 22 gallons of alcohol a year.

That means that the average American gets about 41 miles to the gallon!

Makes you proud to be an American!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I find it strange that with today's economic news they are saying that we may be in for another recession...ANOTHER??? I guess I must have somehow missed it when we came out and thought we were still there... :rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes. I also find that odd. Of course, when you think about how the economic numbers are changed and massaged on a regular basis...

Www.shadowstats.com