Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
But I'm not taking any chances and I'm continuing to stock up, 'cause I could be wrong.[/i] :D
Exactly my good man!!!!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
NOOOO it can't hit the fan yet... I don't have my cow! LOL

in all seriousness... I'm just now trying to restock a bunch of stuff... we nearly cleaned out a lot of things in our pantry during our last financial hiccup where hubby was laid off for 2 months... I tell ya.... every time we get a little stocked up something happens and we have to live off of our stockpile... at this rate I'm never going to be prepared for when "it hits!" LOL

On a plus side... hubby has always thought I was crazy and I had to hide my stash of food... ROFL but now he's not laughing about it and is even contributing to help us restock... so hopefully this time I can rebuild and restock a lot faster... he still won't agree to the cow though... :rolleyes:

S

sunsaver

i_am2bz said:
sunsaver said:
TSHTF :hide Glad my pantry room is full.
But not as full as I want it to be!!! :(

Heard something (can't remember now if it was on FNC or talk radio) about gold being the next bubble to burst...any thoughts on that from anyone?
If or when things get bad enough, the USA or other nations will be forced to sell gold from their treasuries. This could flood the metal market like it did in the late 1990s when gold went down to $300 per oz. If i had any gold right now, i would be selling it. My crystal ball says that food and off-grid solar are the best investments right now.

Edited to say that if food prices keep inflating at 10% per year, and you buy a year's supply of food, you've just earned 10% return on your money. And, if you can manage to go off-grid; you've just paid yourself $1000 or more per year for the rest of your life, and with the threats of inflation, peak oil, terrorism, or a solar storm CME event, you'll be sitting high and dry, reading a book, while everyone else is in the dark or reading by candlelight.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's an interesting write-up on the gold situation. This was just published today.
Gold May Hit $5k
Strange times indeed!

Last night I was reading about what some folks, who are supposedly "in the know", think our present administration is up to behind our backs. This is truly scary but it is not appropriate for this forum as it has nothing to do with self sufficiency.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
My crystal ball says that food and off-grid solar are the best investments right now.
We've talked before about canning jars being the new currency...maybe jars are the new silver & solar is the new gold. ;)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
sunsaver said:
TSHTF :hide Glad my pantry room is full.
But not as full as I want it to be!!! :(

Heard something (can't remember now if it was on FNC or talk radio) about gold being the next bubble to burst...any thoughts on that from anyone?
While anything is possible, especially when the financial elites don't like high gold prices, I won't be selling any of mine, any time soon. By raising margins, the elites could cause a drop in price, but I believe that the fundamental reasons behind the increase in price (Fed printing money, global uncertainty, and stock volatility) are still there. With the Fed openly talking about another round of money printing, I believe that we will see gold over $2000 soon. As for governments selling off large quantities and driving the price down, there have been several large sales (in the tons) of gold in the last 5 years. Each time that has happened, another country snapped it up quickly and it hasn't had any effect on the price. Several countries, especially China and India, are actively buying all of the gold that they can. Just my thoughts and YMMV.

Silver is different since a lot of its' price is based on its' industrial use. As the global recession deepens and less manufacturing is going on, there is pressure for it to drop in price. BUT, at the same time, the declining value of the dollar caused by the Fed printing money puts upward pressure on the price (when based in US Dollars). So, basically...., I don't know. :hu

Boogity said:
This is truly scary but it is not appropriate for this forum as it has nothing to do with self sufficiency.
Actually, I believe that it has a lot to do with self sufficiency.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Me too. If you don't want to share publicly, would you mind sending a pm?

S

sunsaver

Just don't hold on to it until it gets down to $300. If the price starts to fall, sell immediately.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Boogity said:
This is truly scary but it is not appropriate for this forum as it has nothing to do with self sufficiency.
Actually, I believe that it has a lot to do with self sufficiency.
Agree also.

BTW, love your new tag line, Mark! :D