Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I did this all summer for baby girl - i hit yardsales and bought clothing all the way up to 2T and some 4T. My gut was just saying it was a good idea.

I'll be hitting the local browse and buy for the older kids.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes, cotton has gone way up over the last year.

As for brands, I only know them because certain brands do last a lot longer than others. For boys clothes, South Pole brand is a good one. We have hoodies that are six years old and still going strong. Lands End, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, Columbia...all very high quality. I have an LL Bean fleece winter Jacket and a Columbia fall jacket that I wear to death. LOVE them!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
I've been hitting the local thrift store getting some good clothes.Blue jeans in very good condition for 3 bucks, summer shorts for 2 bucks, shirts 2 bucks...
I don't need new clothes,or ...in..styles and can dress nicely for a fraction of new stuff.Funny thing is the quaility of the cheaper/older clothes is allot better than most of the new ,expensive clothes...! They put out new old stuff every Tue./Wed., i check almost every week.I really only buy new socks and underwear..
We have been shopping this way as a family for quite some times and saved a bundle. We do buy some things new, mostly shoes and pants as we find those harder to fit (we are a short, squatty family so size can be an issue). We someones need a particular item and need to go to a "new" clothing store sometimes for that, and we also buy new socks and new underclothes.

I think it is much easier to get a "bargain" with clothes as opposed to foodstuffs. When we try to buy "cheap" food the quality is often just not worth it. Unless you are referring to food made from scratch....

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Didn't someone post a ways back that cotton was way up??

All I do is bargain shop. My kids don't even know what brands are.

G
Cotton had been up about 125% on the commodities exchanges, it has fallen back a little but is still up 77% over the last year. It is expected to rise again with the drought in Texas.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I started a separate thread on the best clothing brands to buy used. If you have a favorite, pop over there and post it.

I have heard from a few parents who are in sticker shock after trying to buy back to school supplies. I feel for them. It was hard enough when the economy didn't suck!

A lot of schools don't start until next month even though ours are already in session. I expect to hear some loud screaming from the east coasters next month.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I was listening to the radio last night while cooking dinner, and I heard some commentary about inflation. Apparently, fuel and food prices are particularly erratic, and are not included in the core inflation figure.

(My hedge against food pice inflation is canning.)

It got me reading about inflation and how it is measured. Here's one of the better articles:

http://www.investopedia.com/university/inflation/inflation2.asp#axzz1VUENR2vI

And some pros/cons of the Consumer Price Index (CPI), which is the measure of inflation in the US:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/07/consumerpriceindex.asp#axzz1VUENR2vI

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Damummis said:
If you have a Joann Fabric out there, you can use the 40% off coupon and get a bolt of muslin for a great deal. I think I payed $24 for mine.
I have a 50% ;)

I usually buy bolts at Dharma trading. I got a bolt of 108 wide.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
I'd like to see the article as well Boogity, PM'd or posted...i to believe it may be revelant to EP...
Hey family members - I don't want to stir the pot here with my silly stuff. Most younger folks don't want to be bothered with the ramblings of an old man.

I've been reading some books from the library about world government, politics, political parties and the like. One author in particular was an acquaintance of mine way back in 1972 in Senegal. I have completely lost touch with him over the past 35 years. I'm sure he doesn't even know who I am but I remember him as an Army reservist who was very much interested politics of the world.

I would highly recommend your reading History Unfolding and The Road to Dallas. Both written by Dr. David Kaiser.