Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'd like to see the article as well Boogity, PM'd or posted...i to believe it may be revelant to EP...

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Glad i can sew. Time to buy a bolt of denim and a bolt of muslin.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been hitting the local thrift store getting some good clothes.Blue jeans in very good condition for 3 bucks, summer shorts for 2 bucks, shirts 2 bucks...
I don't need new clothes,or ...in..styles and can dress nicely for a fraction of new stuff.Funny thing is the quaility of the cheaper/older clothes is allot better than most of the new ,expensive clothes...! They put out new old stuff every Tue./Wed., i check almost every week.I really only buy new socks and underwear..

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been hitting thrift shops for maternity clothes with no luck, the material they use for maternity clothes is so cheap it rarely survives 1 pregnancy. I have been living in pajama pants and sun dresses because I refuse to spend $60 on a cheap pair of elastic pants that I will only wear for 3 months. The quality of the clothes have so obviously declined since my first and the price has doubled, or worse, in the last 3 years it went from $25 for decent jeans to $60 for almost see through cotton pants. Too bad I had two winter pregnancies previously, because I have decent maternity jeans and sweaters, lol.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Forgot to say, i see lots of nice kids clothes at yard sales around here.It's interesting how people feel they must have new clothes for each season,etc..Kids grow, so they do need to have the right sized clothes.Good article WZ, those sneaky retailers..! Educated consumers know what they are doing.! It's just like with food, 12 oz. instead of 16oz, redesigned package, same price or more.Thrifty Americans can out smart them and eat and dress just fine...:)

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've recruited my garage sale hopping mom to snag some clothes for my boys, they are going for less than $1 per outfit, as long as they fit, they will wear them, fashion doesn't matter to toddlers, just need a somewhat clean outfit to change into when they come inside from playing in the dirt.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I stocked up on jeans from the thrift store end of last winter. I need a few sweaters, but those are not too hard to find. I am buying socks and undies now and have noticed the material is thinner. As for t shirts...arggg. They started making them out of tissue paper last year or so. I only buy used ones now. Go goodwill!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Didn't someone post a ways back that cotton was way up??

All I do is bargain shop. My kids don't even know what brands are.

G

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
abifae said:
Glad i can sew. Time to buy a bolt of denim and a bolt of muslin.
If you have a Joann Fabric out there, you can use the 40% off coupon and get a bolt of muslin for a great deal. I think I payed $24 for mine.