Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just want to post a note for an e mail I got today. My Mom lives about an hour and 15 min north of me. I usually go on line for her and order a food box. Then another family member picks it up and delivers.

Well I got an e mail today saying that the food box program is being cancelled. Cost are rising and donations are dwindling.

Looks like I will need to take a few road trips to stock her up.

If this isn't a sign I don't know what would be.

My heart goes out to all of the seniors and families that use this program. I hope they can find something to replace it.

g

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
My heart goes out to all of the seniors and families that use this program. I hope they can find something to replace it.
Amen. Locally, food programs are also having a problem keeping up with demand. One shut down recently, and the other is just barely keeping its' head above water. We have offered to donate 150 pounds of wheat that we a planning to rotate, and offered the loan of one of our grain mills, but they aren't sure if they can accept it since the food isn't pre-packaged. :/

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I offered eggs to the local food bank and they couldn't take them because they couldn't guarantee food safety. The volunteer at the donations desk did get me in touch with a local family to give to directly because she was very disappointed that she had to turn away 12 dozen pastured eggs because of a lame policy. It's sad when you have the means to help others and get turned away.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Thanks Boogity.

Boogity boogity boogity amen :D

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Savingdogs...i wasn't referring to, "cheap" food that one has found wasn't worth the bargin price they may have payed.That not what thrifty or an educated consumer means to me.I buy what i know i like such as Lumburgs short grain organic brown rice..i buy it in 25lb bags because i eat allot of it, and it doesn't have time to go rancid.I buy it through a local food co-op which equals big savings and being thrifty.So yes, an educated consumer can save allot of money in thrift stores buying clothing and eat well without buying cheap food they really don't enjoy. I know these things because i've been doing it for a few decades, not just since America has fallen on hard times...I never was lavish on spending for clothes, more practical since i've always been a blue collar working man, even in good times.Never bought cheap food i didn't care for. Hope this clearifies what my previous post meant...:)

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ahhh come on Boogity, how old can you be.? I'm pushing 60yrs...lol I'd love to hear your rambling's.Of course i undestand where your coming from and respect your decision.Thanks for the info on those books, sounds interesting.You can still feel free to PM me , what you don't wanna post here...:)

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
NOOOO it can't hit the fan yet... I don't have my cow! LOL

<snip>
Exactly! Us too! We're actually thinking about getting a couple of mini (dexter?) cows and mini-pigs for to add to our menagerie on our little 2 acres.

So, nope, not ready yet.

Plus still have all the tools and books, canning supplies, etc home from FIL's farm.

NOT YET!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gina you are so right. Charities are getting nailed with 'middle' class they never had to take care of before. More people WHO USED to supply the charity, are now needing charity. It is all caving in big time.

funny tho....about 6 years ago there was a food program at the local church. I stopped by on the day and said I can supply food bags of produce (about 50-60) of a few tomatoes, few cukes, onions, turnips, greens, corn in season ETC cause we sure raised tons.....and he told me they could not hand out 'uncanned or unboxed' foods. It was appreciated but they could not do it....WHAT THE ??

that day I said screw it. I gave out tons to people I know needed it and they would pass it on to others that needed it. So at least I got it out to those who could use it and eat good.

we always donated 2 hogs each year to the food program in another town. I got the tax write off and people ate very good off those hogs. I grew those very big so they could get the max from the hoof.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, we have the same problems at the soup kitchen where I volunteer. Luckily I don't get into the inner workings of the kitchen but it's obvious that there are so many restrictive regulations that the food banks, soup kitchens, and other charities are severely handicapped nowadays.

I have carefully selected two families that are in serious financial trouble through no fault of their own (sometimes you wonder) and really need help. One is a widowed 71 yr. old lady who is trying desperately to hold onto her 1 acre which used to be their 120 acre farm. She had to sell all but one acre and her run down home when her husband of 52 years was dying of lung cancer. She has a 41 yr. old autistic son who never gets the medical attention he needs. I take them eggs, veggies, clothing from the Goodwill store and I also try to fix things around their house once a week.

The other family is a man and wife who are both, hmmmm how do I say this tactfully, somewhat retarded or slow or something. He can never hold a job and she is not capable of working. I know this sounds terrible but they are just dumb. I bet their combined IQs don't add up to 90. They live in a home supported by charity and government assistance. I don't know how they got married but they both say that they had a church wedding. They need help in every way. I take them food, magazines, clothing, AND SOFT DRINKS! Those two are addicted to rootbeer, and lemon/lime drinks. Sheesh!

Yes I know first hand that charities that offer any kind of food or drink are under lots of regulations.